battlebuddy.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Lords of the Apocalypse (5E)

Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs View previous topic
View next topic
Lords of the Apocalypse (5E)
Overdog

Post Lords of the Apocalypse (5E) Reply with quote

High in the Galena Mountains on the border of Damara and Vaasa a small fortress sets atop one of the highest peaks and is home to the secular order “The Order of the Cleansing Fire”, warrior priests and paladins of the god Kossuth. It is here that the elite of the order train and prepare for their fight against those who practice forbidden elemental magics in the world by cleansing them with divine fire. As a bitter cold rain buffets the keep a paladin of the order named Magnus Helstrom tosses and turns in his cot as he continues his troubled sleep that is wrought with dreams of an apocalyptic world ablaze with elemental fire. Normally dreams of this nature did not phase Magnus as he worships a god of elemental fire but this was different. Unlike some of the other elemental powers in the world Kossuth does not wish the world laid waste as he is a god of order and elemental supremacy which assures conflict with the other chaotic elemental lords and these dreams felt almost like a grab for power among the gods. Kossuth may be the god of elemental fire but other beings such as Imix and the Grand Sultan of the Efreet both covet Kossuth's position in the pantheon would see him replaced by themselves.

Jarred from his sleep by the door to his chamber slamming open, he opens his eyes to see 4 armed Kossuth acolytes and the priest Sygnus Sacari standing before him accusatory looks on their faces. Sygnus shakes his head and says “we have warned you too many times about your “prophetic” dreams and spreading your heretical lies”. “The Elder Council has met and decided you shall be stripped of your rank and expelled from the order as a heretic”. “You will submit to the Cleansing Ritual and we will purify you”. Magnus knew all too well what that meant. The Cleansing Ritual wasn’t just a purification of spirit but it would strip him of the powers given to him by Kossuth and he would have none of that.

The cot he was sleeping on groans from his massive form laden with the heavy armor he slept in as he gets to his feet . He towers over the 5 men and all take an instinctive step back from him. With a deep breath and a horse whisper he says “Only Kossuth has the right to take that which he granted me and none of you are worthy enough to speak for him. For too long the Elder Council’s corruption has laid upon this keep, this land, and this order and I will no longer tolerate it. Some days I wonder who they truly worship. Something is coming and I intend to stop it with or without your aid”. To the 4 acolytes Magus says “Step aside brothers as I do not wish to hurt you. You are good men and I would go in peace”. As the men questioningly look to Sygnus he only shakes his head and they spring into action. Magnus rushes forward slamming into the host of men and staggering them back long enough to retrieve his two handed Warhammer, it showing obvious marks of battle and the mark twinned fires of Kossuth engraved on the head. When the battle was ended the 4 soldiers lie scattered and broken all around him but still alive and Sygnus fleeing like the coward he is. Slowly and methodically Magnus retrieves his pack and gear and quietly leaves the keep avoiding detection by the grace of Kossuth. As he stands on the stone road leading from the keep he takes one last look back to his home rain almost blinding him and sees a vision of the keep on fire, even the stone is burning, a future the world may see and that he must stop at nothing to prevent.

A world away and many months of travels later Magnus finds himself on a trade road just south of the Savage Frontier days north of Waterdeep overlooking the small town of Redlarch. There he wonders how this small quiet community could be the start of his quest to quench the fires of troubles to come but here is where the omens have guided him. Be that what it may his first order of business is to find and convince others of the upcoming disaster and recruit allies to fight along side him.

Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:50 am View user's profile Send private message
ryoga227

Post Reply with quote
Well done. A cleric of an elemental god fighting against elemental evil makes for interesting irony. Being at odds with his order to do the very thing his order is charged with makes for a second, deeper irony. I like it.
Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:54 am View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
Actually he died with most of the party early on. Here is his replacement.

Daox Stormbrand was jarred from his sleep deep within a temple to Talos in Calimport called the The Towers of Fury. Instantly he knew something was wrong with his twin brother Magnus Helstrom. Magnus always had a gift for seeing omens of things to come but Daox always knew when his brother was in trouble. As children they were both ostracized because of their gifts and each had a different calling of the gods, Magnus was called by Kossuth and Daox was called by Talos.Magnus had an inner fury that he tempered like the fires of the god that he was drawn to and Daox unleashed his inner fury like a raging tempest and as such focused the power of Talos. When they were together none stood before their power and wrath. Each took a different road, Magnus one of order and unwavering dedication to Kossuth and Daox found an outlet for his rage within the temple of Talos.

Daox was the favored student of Stormlord Reghus and when he approached the high priest with a request to find his brother the Stormlord agreed but not for the reasons that Daox suspected. He was given a vision by Talos that elemental forces were stirring in the north and he agreed to let Daox use the teleportation circle in the tower if he promised to investigate the disturbances.Daox agreed readily and within a week he was standing at the gate of a keep in the Galena Mountains, “The Order of the Cleansing Fire” and Magnus’s last known home. As a representative of Talos the Elder Council agreed to meet Daox as their delicate relationship with the church of Talos was always in flux.

Daox, with an imperious voice reminiscent of Magnus, looks to the council and says “I want to see my brother Magnus Helstrom, where is he?” The council members give each other uneasy glances as they stare at Daox in the middle of the council chambers and say “Magnus was branded a heretic and cast out from the order.” Looking to be on the verge of violence Daox only laughs as a messenger enters the chambers and gives a scroll to the council and leaves.One of the councilors looks up from the scrolls and says “it seems that Magnus has gone missing and is presumed dead near Red Larch.” Daox, his inner fury building, looks up from his laughter, realization striking him as his fears have come true that brother is dead. Tthe only explanation for the broken link between them. At this realization he starts to let fury of Talos build up in him and his body crackles with electricity. The council all take a step back, their better years behind them and all but just figure heads now. Daox locks gazes with all the council members and in a voice that resonates like thunder says “YOU CAST HIM OUT….WHEN HE NEEDED YOU….YOU KILLED HIM. NOW FEEL THE WRATH OF A TRUE GOD.” With that Daox slams his fist into the ground and wave of thunder and lightning erupt from him slamming into all the Elder Council with the force of a hurricane followed by a crack of lighting and thunder that rocks the chamber. The bodies of the council members are scattered across the room like leaves on the wind, broken bodies splayed across the council chambers. Those who survived the blast are skewered on the end of Daox’s spear point. As Daox buries his spear in the last surviving council member the door to the chamber bursts open and a paladin of Kossuth stands there alone shining longsword in one hand and shield with the flames of Kossuth etched onto it in the other hand. He looks at the carnage and to Daox’s surprise nods his approval. He says “I am Valen Starblade and I heard about Magnus and I grieve with you for he was like a brother to me. I am ashamed that I didn’t follow him on his quest and I stand with you and vengeance will be ours.” Daox only nods at the warrior and together they escape the keep following the same path as Magnus vowing to finish what he started. Now to find others to help him.
Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:23 am View user's profile Send private message
ryoga227

Post Reply with quote
Are you running the campaign or playing in it Jeff?
Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
ryoga227 wrote:
Are you running the campaign or playing in it Jeff?

I am playing in it.
Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:52 pm View user's profile Send private message
ryoga227

Post Reply with quote
I bought the book and was thinking about running it for my wife. How do you like it so far?
Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:44 am View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
ryoga227 wrote:
I bought the book and was thinking about running it for my wife. How do you like it so far?

It is fun but our DM said it was very frustrating to run because they dont do a good job of guiding the characters in the direction they need to go. It is very sandboxy and the players can get into a lot of trouble by stumbling into an area that is beyond their level. It is a very tough campaign and we have had one TPK so far and almost a few others.
Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:42 am View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
A terrible threat gathers in the north. Throughout this region of the Forgotten Realms, savage marauders bring destruction. Monsters are on the prowl, preying on flocks, rampaging through croplands, and attacking homesteads and travelers. In settlements, discord and suspicion grow. Sinister strangers lurk in the shadows, whispering about how everything is soon to change. This year brought an unseasonably warm and stormy spring. Tales spread of flooding, windstorms, wildfires, and tremors.

The elemental forces are out of balance. It is in this circumstance to witch our heroes find themselves. The source of this elemental evil somehow springs forth from the Sumber Hills, an area that marks the center of the Dessarin Valley. To the southwest of the Sumber Hills sits a small crossroads hamlet of Red Larch. It is in Red Larch that our tale begins.

It is midday on an unseasonably hot summer day in Red Larch when all peace and calm is vanquished, as at a gathering of travelers and towns folk at the front of the Swinging Sword inn are interrupted by the bellowing voice of a man the likes of which Red Larch, nay the Dessarin Valley has ever seen. “I am Magnus Helstrom”, the man stood on top of a barrel, “and I am here to search out and destroy what it is that has caused our seasons to change, our rivers to flood, our forests to burn, our ground to crack and shift, and our winds to tornado and cause destruction.” Magnus knows to his very core that the town holds the answers that he seeks. “Who among you will guide and aid me in rooting out of this evil?”

To the rear of the crowd an Air Genasi man sat in awe of this impassioned man who was unlike any Paladin he had seen or heard before. The Ranger Virococha knew that this man would find him the adventure and wonderment that he so desperately sought. He would not miss this opportunity to follow what he thought was his destiny.

The crowd was silent and unable to quite fathom the scene before them. It was at this moment that the proprietor of the Swinging Sword, Kaylessa stepped forward with a mug of spiced ale and coaxed the man from his perch, so that calm could be restored. In the back of her mind Magnus’s word rang true and she was sure that this man could take care of the evil that stirred in the area of Lance Rock.

Across the main road through Red Larch at the Allfaiths Shrine, Joran was deep in meditation when his communion with his god was interrupted by the impromptu speech of Magnus. Joran new in his heart that this man was sent by His god and that it was no happenstance that he would be here at this time to hear this speech. It was clear to Joran that his fate was tied to this man.

The bard Xavorin new of the busy crossroads that was Red Larch and was in town seeking his fortune. His plumed hat laid as his feet bereft of coin. His ballad of the Harpy and Prince was not drawing the crowds he had anticipated. There must be better way to line my purse with coin, he thought. As if through sheer luck that way presented itself. Surly the man who called himself Magnus would need someone to tell his tale, a chronicler of sorts. Xavorin new not what the future held but he knew this story would be told, and who better to tell than him.

To hear it now, no one can say what truly brought these men together. They were now one and whatever mysteries lie before them they would seek them out together, a band of brothers.

Well you would think this would be the beginning of great adventure that would well be on the tongues of sage and bard alike, but alas it was not to be. You see, this noble group was destined for disaster. After being told that the source of the recent troubles in Red Larch were all related to an evil presence at Lance Rock. The party set off to expunge this evil and restore peace to the area. What ensued was an epic battle that left our nubile party dead to the last man.

This is not the end of our story.
Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:08 am View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Has this thread moved to The Great Beyond? I'll Un-Sticky it if so. LMK please.

Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:46 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
Has this thread moved to The Great Beyond? I'll Un-Sticky it if so. LMK please.

Just close this out. thanks
Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:37 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: