Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs View previous topic
View next topic
Giantslayer Friday 1/20
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
Overdog wrote:
@Dan, updated POR is on Google Drive.

Ignore all tracked treasure up to this point because Tony hand waved it to get us up to the current wealth by level.

You have 180,000-134,688 = 45,312 GP

You cant spend more than 16000K on any one item.

OK - can sell the Headband of vast INT +2 for some gold and buy the +4 headband = 16k

Any other ideas? I'd love to upgrade the +1 spell storing Katana to Giant slaying (18k total cost) but it's not possible since it's 2k over the price cap. Proabably don't have crafting time to do it either.

Any other good rings/ oneoff items I can buy for 16k or less that would greately benefit the Magus at this point? (he has enough gold for close to two items like that) Ideas/suggestions are welcome at this point for a 14th level Magus who may have one or two more levels to upgrade into.... Idea Twisted Evil Can build rods and wands but don't really have the time and you guys don't have the crafting time to build him very much meaningful either (like rings and stuff - 25 days for Fade to craft a ring of Arcane Mastery... not going to happen up to 16th level on our current trajectory unless something changes.... Question Idea)

AC items? Weapon upgrades? Rods for other energy types that we will likely face later?

Could also buy/build rods but staffs are over the price point at this point in time.... Idea Question

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
Hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land,
To fight the horde, sing and cry: Valhalla, I am coming!
Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:14 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'd take a look at ho well you have The Big Six covered. Beyond that, spells added to your spell book might be something to consider.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:50 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
I'd take a look at ho well you have The Big Six covered. Beyond that, spells added to your spell book might be something to consider.

OK, so far the Magus is buying the following items with the wealth by level increase:

1. +4 Headband of Vast Intelligence - 16k (sell old headband of +2 for half) - no brainer really, higher level bonus spells eventually when he get's sixth level spells, more Magus arcana points, higher DC save against his spells for opponents

2. Belt of Physical Perfection +2 (strength, int, and dex) - 16k (Sell Belt of Physical Might for half) This will give him an 18 strength and another +1 to hit and on damage with a melee weapon like the Katana - he is a strength Magus build after all.

For sure - one more major upgrade later. Other things to consider going forward:

Ideas, suggestions, and comments in order to futher the Magus Build would be greatly appreciated... lol

A Upgrade the +1 spell storing Katana to a +3 sword - +1 magic weaon, Spell Storing, Giant Slaying (it's already the first two). Seems like a Handy upgrade for a strength Magus in Giantslayer and our crazy neighborhood goblin priest of Yog Sothoth could probably upgrade it but it might take a little while.

B Fade could Make the Ring of Arcane Mastery (Aerindur's ultimate goal) for the Magus but that would take him a long time to complete (25 days of crafting time or proabably a half year of campaign real world game time... lol) and costs 20k to buy outright so he can't buy it currently - it's the ultimate Magus magic item though and is the end goal. Fade would make a pretty penny accepting that commision but it will take a few months or more to complete if he accepted the commission.

C The other item worthy of an upgrade is the +1 mithril buckler - adding AC bonuses to it would be relatievly cheap (especially a +2 or even a +3 bonus since it's an armor item) and would be a good way to boost his AC without spending a lot of gold.

D Upgrade Amulet of Natural Armor from +1 to +2 or even +3 at some point - duh....

E More Ioun stones if anything left etc.

F Cloak of Resistance - upgrade from +2 to +3 (never a bad idea to boost your saves)

And probably another 16k to spend after the first two items give or take, between the change left over and the money from selling those other two items (and maybe a few other minor items/upgrades). Plus the Magus has about 5k stashed away as well that he can throw into the Kitty for new stuff. I would like to discuss tomorrow in session since I missed the other session where you guys made the trip to buy stuff.

So that pretty much covers the "BIG SIX" for the Magus... lol Cool Thanks for the input Tony -

@ Jeff and Derek feel free to weigh in on these ideas at any time. I will have to make some decisions on this stuff tomorrow at the beginning of the session so ideas and suggestions given prior to that time would be appreciated especially if it helps us to getting the play the game sooner (don't want it to turn into a solo bookkeeping session for my PC but sometimes you have to do some of this stuff live in T's games though I can make the decisions mostly beforehand).

Overdog wrote:
You have 180,000-134,688 = 45,312 GP

You cant spend more than 16000K on any one item.

So 16k +16k = 32k (assuming I can find the items between the two cities)

13,312 g.p. left to spend plus cash on hand which is 4,907 g.p. (budget of 16k max for one item but 18,219 total left) plus what I get for selling the above two sellable items.

Idea Question

Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:07 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Purple Knight

Post Reply with quote
Without seeing your character sheet for the Magus (or more specifically your build to date) my advise will be limited.

First off, yes the Ring of Arcane Mastery is awesome for the Magus. It was one of the reasons my Magus took Forge Ring (this is a very good feat if you can retrain anything, though it sounds like you guys are almost done). By the end of the campaign, my Magus had made that and a Ring of Wizardry II, and wore a third ring of protection on a hand of glory.

Per your post, it appears you made a "strength magus" and it appears you use a Katana. Mine was more of a Dex and Int build than ST with a focus on the Scimitar. However, your sword build is the same one I used, Spell Storing/Giant Bane and it was a great combo, particularly at 15th when I had an intensifed/maximized Shocking Grasp in there. I don't know if your guy wears armor, but I also put spell storing on the armor with a shocking grasp spell loaded to give a little "thank you" for the few creatures that ever hit me.

I'll look more closely at this later...any chance you could post a summary of your character?

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:43 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
@Dan, updated and on Google Drive.
Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:48 am View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
THIS LINK should be good Derrick. You can look at Aerindur's PC sheet there.

Fade has Forge Ring, but we'd need a ton of downtime to get suitable rings made for everyone that wants one (since he's going to be making a couple more for himself if possible) and at present, I don't see a useful Demiplane being constructed before the campaign would be completed. The Jade Regent campaign had an absolute beast of a crafter in Urza (complete with Valet Familiar, basic Demiplane and a Simulacrum) so their kit was a bit better than ours; though we do have a fair few artifacts. Since we pretty much use the magic items availability rules as written, players can usually get pretty solid gear up until the point they start looking for things beyond the 16K Metropolis limit. I kind of feel that those items should be very rare and probably come from a crafter within the party. It certainly gives me pause to reconsider Leadership at some point since that is how most groups get around it.

Getting the Katana upgraded is possible (handwaving that during all those nights spent at "the inn in Kalsgard" we've either made friends with someone, or, more likely in our group, we have "the goods" on someone), but would take about 5 days. In our JR groups, things like this required the PC to drop the item off to Urza #1 or #2 who would work on it while they were adventuring. Sure they would be a bit underpowered for a while, but eventually they got an improved item back. I think this occurred on a couple of occasions if memory serves.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:33 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
We should probably be having this discussion in another thread or even tonight, but here goes...

Fade, realizing the dilemma we face in defeating the Storm Tyrant and his forces has a solution that might help us deal with the time issue. In essence, we have very, very little time to craft things as the enemy is building his strength and there is no time to daly. But, what if we could bend time to our will? For the low cost of around 9.5K and the loan of a greater extend rod (if we had one, that would be awesome, if not, I'm willing to risk it), I can create Teldrassil (there is some risk involved). Laughing

That would result in a giant, eleven tree demiplane where time flows at a rate of 1 hour on the prime = 1 day in Teldrassil. I could make it equal to 1 round equals a day, but that might just break the campaign to be honest. Regardless, Fade is likely going to do it if for no other reason than to get his own rings crafted, but it would certainly aid in our efforts to defeat the giant threat. I'm sure all of the crafters are on board with this plan. We'll simply need to head back to Kaslgard or Absalom (I think those are the only 2 Metropoli is Golarion) at the end of the adventuring day.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:28 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Purple Knight

Post Reply with quote
Bear in mind that Vasen also purchased the magical tools that allowed him to make wands or forge rings with 1 hour per day being equal to 8 hours of work. That was probably the biggest boon to his ability to churn out those items. You are right, though, between Urza and Vasen (mostly via Urza), we had all the crafting pretty much covered "in house"...

Other than the Strength build our Magus (Magi?) look very similar in so far as abilities. You have a some Arcana that I did not take, but that is about it and I took forge Ring instead of Craft Rod, but that is about it. I spent 3 feats on my Scimitar build to include Improve Crit and but I see you spent at least one feat on Katana and used your additionals for the extra arcana. Overall, it seems solid.

If I had my wish list of items up to 16k, I would get:

*Add Giant Bane to the Katana
*Add bonuses to the Amulet, Buckler, and Armor to get your AC in the 30's. That plus Mirror Image pretty much made it so that Vasen was only hit directly like maybe a dozen times after he hit 12th level, if that.
*Get a Want of Spectral Hand-This plus flying more or less makes you a master of the combat area and allows you to really spread out your usefulness. Locked in combat on the front but someone is 50' away lobbing magic, no problem. Spell combat the one you are fighting with the Katana and release a stored spell while simultaneously casting a shocking grasp spell via the hand at the guy 50 feet away. I got that spell through spell blending it used the crap out of it, but the wand would not cost much (relatively) and the duration of the wand is 3 minutes.
*There are a couple of very minor Magic Items I would get just because they were so useful-snapleaf (invis as a swift action, plus feather fall if needed), there was an item that I think had the word "Newt" in it that allowed you to ignore one baleful polymorph spell, there was another that was a ninja egg that combined an obscuring mist and rope trick effect, and there was a powder that gave you +5 on overcoming SR (sorry I don't remember the exact names of these, but they are on Vasen's paper in Jade regent).

That is pretty much all I would suggest. However, you may want to reach out to Jim (Marksman) because he is the king of obscure but useful magic items.

If you don't mind the suggestion, I would change a couple of spells. For example, I would drop blink and haste from your 3rd level spots in favor of Burst of Speed. Cast as a swift action, bonus on your move, and you are not subject to AOOs due to movement which is huge. I would also drop a Vampiric Touch into your spell storing armor so that if you are ever hit, you immediately get some healing back. I'd also drop Fly and keep a Vampiric Touch handy. I would drop Fire Snake in favor of overland flight. Overall way more useful throughout the day (1hr/lvl duration) plus you don' have to spend a combat rounding, or even a buffing round, casting fly. I actually kept an intensified vampiric touch memorized as one of my 4th level spells as 7d6 damage with me getting the temp HPs is huge. Plus those Temp HPs stack with False Life, so you literally can charge your batter on the first round of combat. I also took fireshield, greater invis, and elemental body, but I never really used them except for Greater Invis which I only used a couple of times....but I used the heck out of the intensified Vampiric Touch Spell (I also had a wand of vampiric touch (normal) which I used quite a bit.

I think towards the end of the campaign, I was pretty much only casting Intensified Piercing (Maximized at 15th level) Shocking Grasp (as a 2nd level spell-8 of these memorized per day once I got the ring of wiz II), Falselife, Spectral Hand, Overland Flight, Mirror Image, Burst of Speed (usually kept 2-3 memorized per day as I used the crap of it), and Vampiric Touch with any regularity. I had other spells and prepared others, but never really used them all that much.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:53 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Confirming that Burst of Speed is pretty gross for a Magus. Also, Spectral Hand did some serious WORK in that campaign.

Snapleaf has been errata'd and isn't near as good as it once was.

Excellent advice there Derrick.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:11 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
Fun session tonight guys! I really enjoyed showing up, buying some popcorn, and watching Jeff's Cthulhu entity summon a TREX subsequently enlarged by Fade which ate like six giants. The Magus managed to blow up a few and everyone contributed but that was hysterical if not ludicrous! Shocked Surprised Razz Smile (let's fire it up to Ludicrous speed boyz - Dark Helmet)

Thanks for the input on the Magus build Derek! Cool

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:55 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
Iguana wrote:
Fun session tonight guys! I really enjoyed showing up, buying some popcorn, and watching Jeff's Cthulhu entity summon a TREX subsequently enlarged by Fade which ate like six giants. The Magus managed to blow up a few and everyone contributed but that was hysterical if not ludicrous! Shocked Surprised Razz Smile (let's fire it up to Ludicrous speed boyz - Dark Helmet)

Thanks for the input on the Magus build Derek! Cool

Haha, that was pretty funny. I have been waiting for a big enough room to summon him with lots of enemies so I was happy to see my Cthulhu-Rex ravage those giants.
Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:07 am View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Made all the better by the Godzilla sound fx.

I know it was a rather silly session, with essentially one huge set piece battle, but I expect to have a fair few more of those as this module plays out. But yes, that was loads of laughs, loads of fun. I know 7th level spells are just rionkulous, but now that I've sen the T-Rex in action, Fade wants one too. Wink

Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:35 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: