RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
D&D Next
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs View previous topic
View next topic
D&D Next
Overdog

Post D&D Next Reply with quote
I have to admit I was pretty negative on this at first but I looked at the playtest again recently and it definitely intrigues me. I was thinking that if we have a night our standard group cant get together I thought maybe we could throw some characters together and give it a shot. The playtest includes the following modules: Against the Cult of Chaos conversion, The Caves of Chaos, Isle of Dread, Reclaiming Blindenstone, and The Mud Sorcerer's Tomb.

I have all the PDFs for the Playtest and I can share them on my Google Drive if anyone is interested.
Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:17 am View user's profile Send private message
ryoga227

Post Reply with quote
I'll have to admit I am curious about D&D Next. Please share the files and we'll take a look. Mel and I would at least be willing to give it a try.
Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:56 am View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
LINK to Files
Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:07 am View user's profile Send private message
ryoga227

Post Reply with quote
Thanks Jeff. I'll check them out when I have some time. Smile
Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I've kept up with the play test of the game all along. FWIW, Mud Sorcerer's Tomb is one of my all time faves and written by the same bloke who penned Curse of the Lady's Light (our current Shattered Star module). I will definitely try D&D 5E, but I remain very skeptical.

Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:16 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
I've kept up with the play test of the game all along. FWIW, Mud Sorcerer's Tomb is one of my all time faves and written by the same bloke who penned Curse of the Lady's Light (our current Shattered Star module). I will definitely try D&D 5E, but I remain very skeptical.

Oh I am skeptical too...I am just not against trying it like I was.
Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:04 am View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
I have been doing some more reading and I must say I am really digging the feel of 5th ED. Will it replace Pathfinder...no...but I strongly believe it is a good option as it really conveys the feel of Pathfinder, 1st ED, and 2nd ED to me.

Some points:

1. I love the magic system. Is it uniquely different...no...but this is one of things that brings back the feel of 1st ED. The spells are more effective and they have much longer durations for the most part and you can increase lower level spell effects by memorizing them in higher level slots. They moved some spells around such as Detect and Read Magic which are now 1st level spells which I like better because I hate spamming detect/read magic as it seems to diminish the impact of those spells. Examples...Aid gives a buff to three allies increasing their maximum hit points for a duration of 8 hours, Mage Armor lasts 8 hours now too, Invisibility lasts 1 hour and at higher spell slots you can affect more allies.

2. They have simplified some aspects of combat making it much less of a number crunching game with the Advantage/Disadvantage mechanic and making the fights go much quicker. Simply put this lets you roll the dice twice and either keep the better of the two results (advantage) or keep the worst of the two rolls (disadvantage). So examples of getting an advantage include attacking from surprise or flanking or anytime the player comes up with a good idea and disadvantages include attacking an enemy with a spell from your specialty school or fighting underwater. Armor class doesnt get crazy high even with really high level monsters because they have reduced the bonuses to hit significantly. Now this I dont necessarily agree with this but it does retain the 1st ED feel so I am willing to see how it plays out.

3. They made non-fighter non-strength heavy characters much more viable. Fighters are still the top dog but the gap is less pronounced. They did this very easily by allowing some weapons to use Dexterity to hit and damage whether its melee or ranged and some weapons are Finesse weapons which simplly lets the user decided whether they want to use strength or dexterity as the main stat for the weapon. Examples include Rapiers, Whip, Dart, Dagger, and Short Sword. Now bows can use Dexterity to hit and damage alleviating the need for strength bows. So a super high Dex Elf character can be deadly with Bows with a low strength.

4. Clerics channeling is now much more reasonable and will very cool secondary buffs depending on your domains. The Channel Divinity includes both turning/destroying undead (feels very 1st ED) and Preserving Life is the channel positive energy effect though it was nerfed quite a bit and I am thankful for that. Preserving Life is a flat 5 points per level that you can divide up how you want among any allies within 30 feet of you (no more need for selective channeling). You can only use it once per fight as you need a short rest to get it back...but I like this mechanic as it allows players who play clerics to stop feeling the need to just sit there and be heal bots....now they can play their damn characters.

5. Rogues sneak attack is there but you can only apply it once a round but you can crit with it which I though was cool. Rogues can also Disengage (move away from combatants) as a free action and if they can get to a hiding spot they can stealth and re-engage with sneak attack damage. They can also sneak attack any enemy that is engaged with another ally whether they are flanking or not...so ranged sneak attacking rogues are very viable now.

6. Small races are not penalized as badly anymore. They can use any weapon that is not large without a penalty and couple that with the new way they apply stat to hit and damage (see #3) a halfling rogue with a short sword and a high dex hits just as hard as a half orc with high strength.

There are lots more little things that I like and there are things that I dont like such as surges from 4 ED for fighters...which I think it completely stupid. Also as I mentioned before I dont like the low ACs and low combat bonuses from proficiency bonuses. The one thing I fear is they made some things too simple but until we sit down and play it a few times I wont know how that really impacts things.

That is it for now.
Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:39 pm View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
I managed to find the Alpha version of the PHB if anyone wants to take a look. I already found some changes between it and the basic rules but it gives a good idea of what will be in there.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-DGZEhoXwDtWGx5enNYdU1ycjg/edit?usp=sharing
Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:01 am View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm all for giving it a fair demo at some point, but I'm disappointed with the beginner's box, mostly from a design standpoint. Here's hoping the 3 core books make up for it.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:29 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vimlareon

Post Reply with quote
I think D&D 5th edition is awesome! I'm currently playing in the Adventurer's League, and we're going through the Starter Set's adventure. It was fun, and felt like a DnD game. Like, idk.. It had this feeling of 3rd edition mixed with 2nd edition, put together. Which is what I was hoping for in the new edition. I also love the background rules, it makes your character become more 'alive' for it's flaws and goals. It also stops people from making boring characters that are nothing but a bunch of numbers. Character creation was easy, and pretty quick. Same for combat. I love the new advantage/disadvantage rules, I think that's genius.

I love the new edition so far. And if they keep up the good work with the 3 core books, I'll deffinately make the switch from Pathfinder to D&D 5th ed.

All and all.. D&D is fixed now and on the right path to recovery.

"Listen Vimlareon. It's a large world out there, and I taught you all I know. If you wish to learn more about magic, there is no better teacher than experience itself. May your quest to become an archmage be fulfilled."
Mirillium, Vim's master
Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
What is the Adventurer's League?

Edit...ahh it is the organized play. Is it just for 5th ED? Seems like it isnt fully in swing yet from what I read.
Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:45 pm View user's profile Send private message
Vimlareon

Post Reply with quote
As far as I know it's for 5th edition. It's not in full swing yet, it's just getting started. I think DnD Encounters will also switch to 5th ed, but that I'm not sure.

"Listen Vimlareon. It's a large world out there, and I taught you all I know. If you wish to learn more about magic, there is no better teacher than experience itself. May your quest to become an archmage be fulfilled."
Mirillium, Vim's master
Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
I was thinking about this some more and even if we decided to eventually play it I would like to discuss the possibility of bringing in some of their rules as house rules for Pathfinder. I am normally totally against this but if I see something that really makes sense its tough for me to not at least suggest it. There are really only two that I think really open up character creation and bring more classes/races online with the rest.

1. Use their rules on weapons for small characters.
2. Use Dexterity for to hit and damage for Finesse weapons (essentially removing the Finesse Feat) and for ranged weapons. There is already a precedence for this with Dervish Dance but I find it ridiculous that I could only do this with a Feat path and with only with one specific weapon.

With the 15 point stat buy this allows more flexibility creating stat hungry classes like Monks and Bards and just makes more sense to me. Now if I wanted to make a monk in which normally I would need Str, Dex, Con, and Wis now I could focus on 3 stats instead of 4.
Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:41 pm View user's profile Send private message
Vimlareon

Post Reply with quote
Careful not to overpower a game because of house rules, even if they are good rules that make sense. The Advantage/Disadvantage rule is a cool new rule for DnD Next, and I think it is one of the coolest new rules out there for skill checks and attacking with oversized weapons, etc... To apply that to Pathfinder will change the game dramatically. Pathfinder is still more or less DnD 3.75, so imagine maybe putting this new rule in say a 3.5 adventure. Will it work?

Mirillium, Vim's master
Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
Vimlareon wrote:
Careful not to overpower a game because of house rules, even if they are good rules that make sense. The Advantage/Disadvantage rule is a cool new rule for DnD Next, and I think it is one of the coolest new rules out there for skill checks and attacking with oversized weapons, etc... To apply that to Pathfinder will change the game dramatically. Pathfinder is still more or less DnD 3.75, so imagine maybe putting this new rule in say a 3.5 adventure. Will it work?

Trust me I understand the dynamics of the game. I am only suggesting the items I listed above and these suggestions are not unbalancing, in fact they are balancing an area I always thought was lacking in PF.
Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: