RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
D&D Next
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs View previous topic
View next topic
D&D Next
Vimlareon

Post Reply with quote
Ok, while this is a beta test, it still shows more or less what's coming in the Monster Manual, not necessarily the DM book. I do see what you mean though with the low AC, but keep in mind that the player's proficiency bonus does not improve often. like every 4 or so levels will you get +1 to your attacks and skills.

"Listen Vimlareon. It's a large world out there, and I taught you all I know. If you wish to learn more about magic, there is no better teacher than experience itself. May your quest to become an archmage be fulfilled."
Mirillium, Vim's master
Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
I talked to the owners at Dragons Den and I will be one of the DMs running the 5E Adventure's League starting in the next few weeks probably on Thursday nights if anyone wants to drop in and play.
Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
That's cool Jeff, I'd be interested in playing just to see how it works (assuming I have the occasional Thur night off). Maybe you could start a new thread for it here once you've more info (betting there is an info book for players, etc.).

It looks like to me that combat will be a series of hitting and grinding down opponents rather than the Rocket Tag (I miss then I hit you for 56) combats of PF. Also, characters, monsters even more so, look very much like glass canons. Again though, 1st level guys appear much more survivable as long as they have a d8 or more for HPs. Wizards and other d6 guys are like they were in 2E and earlier. At 1st level, just about anything that gets into H-t-H with them can kill them.

Bob Wiz 1 has 7 HP.
Bob gets unlucky and Gobbo 1 gets the drop on him. Rolls a 11 on the d20 hitting AC15 (assuming Bob has a + point or 2 in Dex and maybe Mage Armor running) this probably hits.
Gobbo rolls a 6 for damage +2=8 hp and bye bye Bob.

This is very unlikely in 3.X, but was always a possibility in 2E & 1E and before though in 2E iirc, you had negative HP. Not so in B/X and 0E.

OTOH, offensively, Bob Wiz 1 is a powerhouse when casting spells as they are for the most part flat dice and not level-dependent (I dislike this greatly). His Magic Missiles hit for 3d4+3 at first level. Sleep and Color Spray are a bit nerfed, but you've also Chromatic Orb to blast people. Grease and Silent Image are both hit with the nerf bat so we're back to Wizards blasting people. Sorcerers and Wizards now have different lists for some reason (another complexity which the game could easily do without) and it appears that the summon monsters or animals idea got nerfed as well.

Full disclosure here, I left my PHB at home so I can't really double check all this stuff.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:10 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
I should know more by next week and I should have all the materials by Monday. I know each player gets a player pack but what is in it I dont know.

For the most part you are correct on the combat but you can pump up spells by using higher spell levels and dont sell sleep short. I think it is ridiculously powerful...you roll 5d8 and that is how many hit points you affect (no save) starting with lowest hp first. But if you catch an enemy alone it is vicious because if you read the spell it says "current hit points" not maximum hit points. So if you get a boss down low you can potentially drop him with this spell if he is alone. This spell scales very well.
Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:24 am View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I said it was a "bit nerfed", not useless (Sleep and Color Spray both really). I can see how it might still do something useful like it used to. It just appears to be considerably nerfed compared to MM.

I'm not digging the "just memorize it at a higher level" design idea. For the most part, the guy playing the Wizard player is amped up to get his new level of spells. "Yes, I just made 5th level! Hello Fireball and Haste!" The idea that you have to give up one of your new spell slots to make a 1st or 2nd level spell really good just doesn't work for me. I think the Metamagic feat system works better.

Post details when you have them.

Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:34 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vimlareon

Post Reply with quote
I think sorcerers now have all of the metamagic stuff.

"Listen Vimlareon. It's a large world out there, and I taught you all I know. If you wish to learn more about magic, there is no better teacher than experience itself. May your quest to become an archmage be fulfilled."
Mirillium, Vim's master
Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
Someday, I will play a Wizard named bob just because it's too much fun of a name not to play... lol (gotta poke fun at this because its quite hysterical if you think about it)...

(luv the fact that the generic npc dude in all of Tony's games is always named bob... lol) Twisted Evil Razz Laughing Cool Smile Very Happy

OK, I suppose he could be named Robert too (like my uncle bob)... either way it works for me... lol

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
Hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land,
To fight the horde, sing and cry: Valhalla, I am coming!
Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:00 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ryoga227

Post Reply with quote
Mel and I are getting the PHB for 5th edition. I flipped through it at a bookstore and it reminded me of the 2nd ed. books. We found it on Amazon for $10 less so we should get it soon. Once I get a chance to read it I will let you guys know what I think about it.
Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Awesome Chris, looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Regarding 2E, I think I would have been more excited about 5E had it modeled a few other things from 2E.

@ Vim and Overdog,

Can one of you that has ran the game explain Inspiration and how it differs from the other Background elements?

Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:19 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
Inspiration is a reward the DM can give to players for good roll playing, good ideas, ect. It essentially gives you a free Advantage roll that you can use on any of your rolls or you can even "gift" to another player in a time of need.
Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:28 pm View user's profile Send private message
Vimlareon

Post Reply with quote
You give an inspirational when a character does something hard or plays out their character correctly, especially a flaw. For example, one of our dwarven warriors at the Cave, and his flaw is that he is battlehungry and meets his enemies in combat, even if the odds are against him. I gave him an inspirational when a horde of goblin wrog riders, lead by a bugbear chief, meets the party in combat. He charges head first at the chief, suicide, but brave and in character. I gave him an inspiration and with it he hacked down the chief.

Mirillium, Vim's master
Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
I talked to Dragon's Den and they said that WoTC sold of their Adventurer Packs so they are expecting to get them again in a few weeks and I will make a post when I have more information.
Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:31 am View user's profile Send private message
ryoga227

Post Reply with quote
The 5ed PHB came in yesterday and I had the time to read some of it. Here are some of my first impressions. I liked a lot of the ideas they incorporated into it from other sources. Such as a simplified version of backgrounds and downtime from Pathfinder or the inspiration system from FUDGE. I also appreciated how they simplified the ruleset, like making skills based on attributes. However this leads to some ambiguity as to which skills specifically require training. I didn't care for the fact that they kept the Dragonborn as well as the fact that they included Tiflings yet didn't include the Aasimar. The descriptions of the Half-Orcs, Drow, and the Tiflings were subtly yet not blatantly made more mainstream. At least they didn't try to depict Orcs as misunderstood good guys like they did in Dragon Age. Such changes are fine for specific settings but doesn't mesh with D&D's roots. There are still a few rule changes that I don't fully understand, like the proficiency bonus, but I'll comment more when I've had more time to read the book.
Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
XCoconutmonkey06X

Post Reply with quote
I must be in the minority in that I have always really liked the Dragonborn. Rolling Eyes

Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:21 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
XCoconutmonkey06X wrote:
I must be in the minority in that I have always really liked the Dragonborn. Rolling Eyes

Well it's one thing if you are playing in the Dragonlance world to include the Dragonborn, or in Planescape with the Tieflings but those aren't necessarily core world settings in my view. And as Chris pointed out they were never core D&D races from the old days through pathfinder so why drag in the legacies from 4th ed (which to me is a failed product) at this point? It would make more sense to me to include them as optional core races but only for those world settings or if the GM wanted to include them in his world setting. I suspect a lot of GMs will just not use them and mark them as off limits for PCs (that's what I would do if I was running the game).

One of the biggest reasons I never bought into 4e was because I thought the inclusion of those races as core races was just plain old goofy and gonzo and made it look like they were designing the game for kids and not adults. I mean seriously, are they really going to include Dragonborn and Tieflings in reissues of old Greyhawk modules for 5e? If they do they have already lost my respect on this issue... Confused Embarassed

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
Hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land,
To fight the horde, sing and cry: Valhalla, I am coming!
Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:28 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: