Carrion Crown Adventure Path
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs View previous topic
View next topic
Carrion Crown Adventure Path
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Carrion Crown Adventure Path Reply with quote
Beginning this Friday with a small-ish group (I am full up at present) and meeting about 2-3 times per month.

The player's guide for the Adventure Path is HERE. Please read over it and consider the ramifications on the characters that you will make Friday night. A few house rules (as always apply)

CURRENT PF HOUSE RULES SP15
  • Paizo material ONLY
  • Max HP at first level, PFS style HPs thereafter (basically you get the high average of your hit dice).
  • Summoner, Alchemist, Gunslinger, all 3 Alt PCs are banned.*see comments below
  • Purchase your gear with 150 gp, all items available (including scrolls, extra spells, potions, etc.).
  • No coin weight in this campaign (easier bookkeeping) .
  • We can playtest the Hybrid classes, but I would only do so if you're experienced with PF.
  • Standard Fantasy point buy of 15 points.* see comments below
  • Standard races except half-orc which is not appropriate for this AP. Gnomes and halflings expect to parade around as a "little person". The folk of the Carrion Crown setting are mostly human and quite xenophobic (for obvious reasons).
  • Traits-2 of them, one from the Carrion Crown Player's Guide and one from the list available on PFd20SRD.
  • Leadership feat is not available.
  • Simplified 3.0 movement on grid.
  • Death from Massive Damage is In Play
  • Critical Hit and Fumble cards (actually, I use an iOS app) are In Play for PCs and named NPCs. Everyone else simply crits using the RAW (this makes for more random, cinematic combat). In all cases, the dice are rolled twice or three times as required.
  • No Evil-aligned characters.
  • Retraining rules from Ultimate Campaign are In Play.
  • Day Job rolls will be allowed from time-to-time so don't neglect those Profession, Craft or Perform skills.
  • NPC spell casting for the established costs found on p. 23 of the current PFS guide may be acquired in every small city or larger.
  • Magic item availability is based on the given stats for each settlement. If the items is less than the total amount given, there is a 75% chance it may be purchased there. If not, you may wait one game week and try the roll again. This is a party wide effect so once someone botches a search for a certain item, it is unavailable to others in the group.
  • Party members are encourage to craft their magic own items (not magical tats though, just a bit broken imo). Standard reimbursement of 75% of normal cost is required.
  • We will use Milestone Level Ups rather than standard experience points.

On PC Class Choices: These adventure paths are written with the assumption of a balanced party. You can certainly play with 1 fighter and 4 wizards if that's your thing, but it's like playing on HARD mode. Sometimes, HARD mode is fun. Personally, I like weird parties and enjoy seeing how players come up with solutions that are outside the box. Don't feel compelled to play a cleric because you think the group needs a heal bot. Rather, play a cleric because you want to play a cleric. More importantly, make a character that can fill several different roles.
On Stats: You can run a stat down as low as you like, but expect to deal with the penalties. I don't mind running a group where everyone has nerfed their CHA for instance, but it's more fun when you role-play it and are willing to face the consequences. No adjusted starting stats beyond 18 though.

Last edited by scadgrad on Tue May 23, 2017 4:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:30 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Purple Knight

Post Reply with quote
Wow...looks like that is a great AP...wish I was there

Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:58 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
Purple Knight wrote:
Wow...looks like that is a great AP...wish I was there

Crying or Very sad

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:23 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I knew you two would like it, but hey, one online Adventure Path at a time. I'll run this for the online group if that's where you decide to go after Jade Regent. It's quite easy to see the Ravenloft influences isn't it?

Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:31 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vimlareon

Post Reply with quote
Aww.... this looks fun. the next AP after Jade Regent, me and my group will probably do The Mummy's Mask AP and see how that goes... There are so many good adventures, so many paths to go.

"Listen Vimlareon. It's a large world out there, and I taught you all I know. If you wish to learn more about magic, there is no better teacher than experience itself. May your quest to become an archmage be fulfilled."
Mirillium, Vim's master
Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
ladyrogue

Post Reply with quote
Chris is very excited (he loves Ravenloft and wanted to play this AP at some point). Will look over the guide and let you know what we are thinking of playing. I may go paladin. (I miss my RotR character).
Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
ladyrogue

Post Reply with quote
Okay, we took a look at the guide. Chris was thinking of being a human wizard (he apologizes for seeming boring, but he just had an idea for a character) and I was thinking human or half-elf paladin. A city with a history of undead is to much to resist. I'll create something and throw it up here.
Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Your DM-Controlled NPC is a human wizard Diviner who has made his living as a performer, soothsayer and entertainer. Amicus Crumb, who performs as The Amazing Amicus, met the Professor some years back. He rescued the old gentleman from a pair of bumbling highway men on the road to Caliphas earning his friendship and eternal debt.

Nothing wrong with Chris also wanting to play a wizard (they are hugely fun after all). My NPC is there primarily to help with info, get you out of jambs, be a voice for the DM, etc. Just as a suggestion, and given Chris' experience with PF, he might consider a Magus (they're incredibly fun and like playing a damage-dealing wizard) or the new Arcanist (just to give it a try).

I miss the RotR campaign since it's AWESOME, but rather than pull 3 new people into it, I'd probably just rather start it over at some point in the future.

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:38 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ryoga227

Post Reply with quote
Since the NPC is a wizard and covers the knowledge role, I don't want to be redundant. Perhaps I'll play a cleric, an Arcanist, or a bard. I'm not sure yet and will get back to you.
Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:50 am View user's profile Send private message
Bass BB

Post Reply with quote
Tony I'm thinking Ranger, Cleric, or possibly Witch. Is Witch one of the off-limits classes?

Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:41 am View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
@ Bass, Witches are fine and actually quite fun to play. A Ranger would give the party another solid fighting type plus some handy tracking skills and the like. Clerics obviously are one of the best classes in the game.

@ Ryoga, don't let the presence of one wizard in a group of 6 characters dissuade you if that's what you really want to play. Amicus is there to "know stuff, make stuff, and help out" he won't be slinging spells in the way that you like to do. OTOH, since you've played so much, any of the new classes might be fun to see how they work. A blaster Arcanist might be loads of fun and right down your alley really.

@ All,

Everyone should strongly consider Desna or Pharasma as your diety as they are the two most common in Ustalav.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:19 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
Bass BB wrote:
Tony I'm thinking Ranger, Cleric, or possibly Witch. Is Witch one of the off-limits classes?

Wow Bill - great to see you posting here again and back in one of Tony's games again after all of these years! It's been a while!!! Dan Very Happy

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
Hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land,
To fight the horde, sing and cry: Valhalla, I am coming!
Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:20 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Roll20 site for occasional online elements USE Google Chrome or it won't work very well

That's still under-construction but would be cool to meet with anyone there tonight at 10:00-ish to make characters (use Google Chrome, voice only or chat only if that's how you prefer it). Any characters that we can get completed before Friday would be awesome. I've enabled PF character sheets for that Roll20 campaign so we'll see how it works.

Characters will also be stored as PDFs on the google drive HERE.

Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:07 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tobin

Post Reply with quote
I am thinking half-elf druid or ranger (though another sorcerer or maybe a thief is intriguing as well), and Leslie usually likes thieves though she hasn't made a definite decision. Any thoughts?
Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
Vimlareon

Post Reply with quote
Just to throw it out there, but Tobin, if your having trouble deciding ranger or druid, why not both? The Hunter is one of the hybrid classes right? This might be a good time to try it out.
I think the Arcanist will be cool to play, talking to Ryoga. Normally, two people of the same class will lead to competition in my experience, though the other side is an NPC so a wizard can still work.

Just want to throw those out there. Smile

"Listen Vimlareon. It's a large world out there, and I taught you all I know. If you wish to learn more about magic, there is no better teacher than experience itself. May your quest to become an archmage be fulfilled."
Mirillium, Vim's master
Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: