Giantslayer Pathfinder Adventure Path Sticky Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs View previous topic
View next topic
Giantslayer Pathfinder Adventure Path Sticky Thread
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
So, the next session... I THINK I have Wed night through Sat night open. Tonight and tomorrow night are NO GO. Do y'all just want to wait and do our regular Sat night session?

Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:30 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
So, the next session... I THINK I have Wed night through Sat night open. Tonight and tomorrow night are NO GO. Do y'all just want to wait and do our regular Sat night session?

I cant Wed or Thursday so it would have to be Fri for Sat for me.
Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:37 am View user's profile Send private message
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
I'm good for Friday or Saturday. Cool

Looked at the Sure Casting wand and decided not to make one for now - much like True Strike, you have to cast it one round and then get your +5 caster level spell off during the next round so it's not so great for action economy. Currently, Aerindur has memorized a 2nd level Shocking Grasp with the Piercing spell feat (so SR check = 11 for level, +2 for elf, +5 for piercing spell = +17 verses SR). It's pretty much the same as Sure casting but it only takes one round and I can recall it for one Magus Arcana point and cast it every round if necessary. He did pick up two Ioun Stones in Kalsgard to increase his UMD to +15 though so he can use wands not on his spell list with very little chance of failure - a Pink and Green Sphere Ioun Stone Cracked (+1 to one CHA based skill), and a Magenta Prism Ioun Stone Cracked (+2 to any one skill). So as long as he doesn't roll a 1-4 he can use wands with spells not on his spell list in the future and it only gets better at higher levels. Prior to acquiring these two items he would fail a UMD roll for a wand on a 1-7 on a d20 (or approximately 1/3 of the time) which wasn't very efficient and could lead to loss of action economy. This sort of makes up for taking CHA as a dump stat (-2 bonus) since UMD is really the only CHA based skill he is planning on using regularly.

He'll probably make a sure casting wand later for ranged attacks but he probably doesn't need one at the moment at least for hand to hand spellstrike attacks.

He also made a wand of Unseen Servant to help with traps, added three more Glitterdust spell scars, and picked up three scrolls of Knock (rolled for availability in Kalsgard and the three items he bought were available). Cool

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
Hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land,
To fight the horde, sing and cry: Valhalla, I am coming!
Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:30 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rhollo

Post Reply with quote
Friday and Saturday work for me too...

“if you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm…”
Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
Giantslayer loot total update
Verdant Vine 6,000 g.p. - Jim's Ranger hanging onto this item for now...

Frost Drakes:
Escape Ladder 4000 g.p. item
2 Potions of Lesser Restoration
22 p.p. (= 220 g.p.)
714 g.p.
3 garnets worth 65 g.p. each (65 x 3 = 195 g.p.)

220 + 714 + 195 = 1129 g.p. divided by 5 = 225 g.p. each Cool

And last but not least - ALL OF THE CLERIC'S STUFF!!! Twisted Evil Very Happy

Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:33 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I still have the bad feels over the "guardian drakes" and hope y'all won't hold it too much against me. Dan is always quick to verbalize when the group takes a financial hit like that (and in his defense, he and Jeff had the worst of it), but again, I'll make sure that we get enough loot (especially between books) to keep us within reasonable balance of Wealth by Level. I do think that is important for any 3.X-based game.

Oddly enough, I did enjoy the session and how it threw a complete curveball into our plans. Y'all certainly exacted some sweet, sweet vengeance on the drakes and may have found a cool easter egg in the bargain.

Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:10 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
I still have the bad feels over the "guardian drakes" and hope y'all won't hold it too much against me. Dan is always quick to verbalize when the group takes a financial hit like that (and in his defense, he and Jeff had the worst of it), but again, I'll make sure that we get enough loot (especially between books) to keep us within reasonable balance of Wealth by Level. I do think that is important for any 3.X-based game.

Oddly enough, I did enjoy the session and how it threw a complete curveball into our plans. Y'all certainly exacted some sweet, sweet vengeance on the drakes and may have found a cool easter egg in the bargain.

No bad feelings at all against you Tony. It is a by-product of Pathinder. I continually get frustrated at how easy it is to die in this game no matter how careful you are. I was flying, invisible, and had my scent masked and I still died. I realize the module is scripted to provide us resistance and I would expect nothing less but it doesnt make it less frustrating. I will be totally up front and tell you that the only reason I play PF at this point is to hang out with you all. I like a game that allows me to explore some roll-playing aspects without the constant fear of dying but that is impossible in PF. I also dont want to play a game where there there is no risk but PF has no middle ground. In a game that has so many class options I am totally out of ideas of characters that I can have fun with. I get tired of optimizing and I want flavor in my characters but anytime I try add some flavor and get to liking a character they get stomped into the ground. It is difficult to get enthused about a character and a game when this happens all the time. It wont stop me from playing but it does drain the enjoyment of the game from me.
Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:24 pm View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
All that being said, I do appreciate you giving me the opportunity to get my stuff back after the Reincarnation.
Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:

I think it worked out fine - wealth per level has been perserved... lol Kind of need to watch our six now that we have a portal to the underworld if you get my drift (the hidden passageway we found)... Probably shouldn't split up the group from here on out either... lol Twisted Evil Razz

Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:31 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I think it's probably not a bad idea to take a 2-week break and maybe that'll recharge the batteries. RPGs should be fun and when they're not, I firmly believe that you should do something to correct the issue. I still believe that it is the nature of this AP that is contributing to your frustration. It is harsh at times. Honestly, I would rather not quit the AP (and PF), but it's possible that we might consider a mini campaign of something else between book 4 and the last two. That might be something to discuss. This is a very enjoyable group and obviously, I want to keep you dudes at the table rolling dice, so we can kick that idea around if you'd like. I certainly think that Post Giantslayer, we can talk about doing some other sort of RPG and take a chill on PF if you'd like.

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:12 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Iguana wrote:
...Probably shouldn't split up the group from here on out either...

Actually, scouting is a necessary evil and it runs a very high risk of triggering encounters, even with precautions (most of which the author will assume you are taking and occasionally counter them). Y'all should lean on Fade more. Mr White should be an EXCELLENT scout (Invis at Will, D Magic at Will, Darkvision 60' flight, Raven form, Stealth of +18, most meaningful Knowledge skills at +14-17) and even if he dies, Fade can get him back a week later (at a substantial cost, but still). Fade is a deeply flawed character and will never willingly volunteer to put the Old Guy in harm's way. OTOH, he realizes that in that situation, it would have been a "cheaper setback" and so regrets it. Yes, that's exactly the kind of a Son of B%^&* that he is. The "Elf" or "Gobbo" should try to convince him that this would be more profitable as he considers the other 2 PCs to be pawns of the Goody-Two-Shoes Trunau Council and disagrees with them about most things (as you have seen).

Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:21 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
Iguana wrote:
...Probably shouldn't split up the group from here on out either...

Actually, scouting is a necessary evil and it runs a very high risk of triggering encounters, even with precautions (most of which the author will assume you are taking and occasionally counter them). Y'all should lean on Fade more. Mr White should be an EXCELLENT scout (Invis at Will, D Magic at Will, Darkvision 60' flight, Raven form, Stealth of +18, most meaningful Knowledge skills at +14-17) and even if he dies, Fade can get him back a week later (at a substantial cost, but still). Fade is a deeply flawed character and will never willingly volunteer to put the Old Guy in harm's way. OTOH, he realizes that in that situation, it would have been a "cheaper setback" and so regrets it. Yes, that's exactly the kind of a Son of B%^&* that he is. The "Elf" or "Gobbo" should try to convince him that this would be more profitable as he considers the other 2 PCs to be pawns of the Goody-Two-Shoes Trunau Council and disagrees with them about most things (as you have seen).

I am sure we can convince him one way or another. *cracks tiny gobbie knuckles* Smile
Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:53 am View user's profile Send private message
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
I think it's probably not a bad idea to take a 2-week break and maybe that'll recharge the batteries. RPGs should be fun and when they're not, I firmly believe that you should do something to correct the issue. I still believe that it is the nature of this AP that is contributing to your frustration. It is harsh at times. Honestly, I would rather not quit the AP (and PF), but it's possible that we might consider a mini campaign of something else between book 4 and the last two. That might be something to discuss. This is a very enjoyable group and obviously, I want to keep you dudes at the table rolling dice, so we can kick that idea around if you'd like. I certainly think that Post Giantslayer, we can talk about doing some other sort of RPG and take a chill on PF if you'd like.

I dunno I thought it was a fun session and I think everyone else thought it was too. Jeff's dude bought it but he was doing something risky and the drakes were waiting for something like that to happen and they caught him (it was a trap and he was by himself which is always risky). The reincarnation only made his cleric's return all that much more fun and we ended up with some valuable intel after taking out the drake's lair. I understand from his standpoint as a player that dying so frequently can take away from his enjoyment of the game to a certain extent, but he plays his characters in such a way that they are more fun to play since they are living life on the edge, they have a lot of flavor, and they aren't rediculously optimized. When you are that much closer to the edge and are not a superhero type of character, occasionally bad things happen. I think in the end we all had fun in that session. I actually think his new gobbo race for the cleric is quite hysterical actually (especially his infatuation with fire in a group that already has two or three pyros if you include mister white)... lol Twisted Evil Razz Wink

Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:00 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
Iguana wrote:

Frost Drakes:
22 p.p. (= 220 g.p.)
714 g.p.

OK, so now in the kitty:

+1 Mithril Armor giant sized (Chain Shirt? Breastplate? Chainmail?)
Belt of Giant Strength +6 - Alan's dude is hanging onto this item for now (plans to buy it from the group)
2 Everburning Torches (meh)
2 Potions of Cure Moderate Wounds
1 Potion of Nuetralize Poison
Scroll of Protection from Energy
Wand of Slow with 27 charges given to Mister White
Velvet Pouch with: Jailer's Dungeon Ring, Prisoner's Dungeon Ring (probably sell)

5270 g.p. + 130 p.p. (1300 g.p.) = 1314 g.p. each already distributed in the last session (magic items to be settled later) Twisted Evil

Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:49 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
Iguana wrote:
Iguana wrote:

Frost Drakes:
22 p.p. (= 220 g.p.)
714 g.p.

OK, so now in the kitty:

+1 Mithril Armor giant sized (Chain Shirt? Breastplate? Chainmail?)
Belt of Giant Strength +6 - Alan's dude is hanging onto this item for now (plans to buy it from the group)
2 Everburning Torches (meh)
2 Potions of Cure Moderate Wounds
1 Potion of Nuetralize Poison
Scroll of Protection from Energy
Wand of Slow with 27 charges given to Mister White
Velvet Pouch with: Jailer's Dungeon Ring, Prisoner's Dungeon Ring (probably sell)

5270 g.p. + 130 p.p. (1300 g.p.) = 1314 g.p. each already distributed in the last session (magic items to be settled later) Twisted Evil

So to the above add:
Ring of Protection +3 (Aerindur already has one but who wouldn't want this item especially in this module... lol)
Pink & Green Sphere Ioun Stone: +2 enhancement bonus to Charisma (can get a +1 bonus on Will saves too if you have a Wayfinder for it) 8.000 g.p. full price. I'm sure Fade's drooling over this one and Aerindur is even considering it... lol
Large Scepter of Divine Provenance: 17,300 g.p. item full price. Alan's Dude might want this but can he afford it if he also buys the Belt of Giant Strength?
Scroll of Fleshworm Infestation!!! Shocked Surprised Sad Crying or Very sad So maybe a useful 4th level cleric/wizard/sorcerer/inquisitor/witch spell or we could sell it for some gold.

Lootz:
A bunch of Onyx gems worth 750 g.p. total
Platinum unholy symbol worth 50 g.p.
Gold or Silver goblet worth 50 g.p.
MW Silver dagger - I'd like to snag since the dagger is my backup weapon and I only have regular daggers at this point, or we could sell for 111 g.p.

So as far as the money goes 850 g.p. divided by 5 = 170 g.p. each Twisted Evil

Last edited by Iguana on Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:34 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: