ONLINE Rise of the Runelords
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 87, 88, 89  Next

Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs View previous topic
View next topic
ONLINE Rise of the Runelords
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
marksman wrote:

Be prepared with a protection from evil in case of a failed save. I see Balefire has it as a sorceror.

right. Pro. Evil standing by.

Balefere is not much use, unless I can pass the creatures SR...

sadly, Im more set up to clean the fort of Ogres.

Wed May 17, 2017 11:09 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You've used your emergency force sphere already and I believe at least 3 Fireball types of spells. It's the same day as the fight with the ogres in the courtyard outside the fort.

Wed May 17, 2017 11:56 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
marksman

Post Reply with quote
Balefire and Evanora might could use this spell. Ignores SR and save only keeps them from being staggered, they still take full damage. Imagine this with a couple of feats added to make it 60 damage with no SR chance.

Sunshi might order one of these in a wand. CL5. Does 5d6 damage with a ranged touch which he should never miss and no SR chance. Might be a very well spent 3750gp or 2812.5gp with discount.

Snowball

School conjuration (creation) [cold, water]; Level druid 1, magus 1, sorcerer/wizard 1, summoner 1, witch 1

CASTING

Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S

EFFECT

Range close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Effect one ball of ice and snow
Duration instantaneous
Saving Throw Fortitude partial (see text); Spell Resistance no

DESCRIPTION

You conjure a ball of packed ice and snow that you can throw at a single target as a ranged touch attack. The snowball deals 1d6 points of cold damage per caster level (maximum 5d6) on a successful hit, and the target must make a successful Fortitude saving throw or be staggered for 1 round.

Wed May 17, 2017 11:57 am View user's profile Send private message
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
You've used your emergency force sphere already and I believe at least 3 Fireball types of spells. It's the same day as the fight with the ogres in the courtyard outside the fort.

Weasel wrote:
Just so everybody knows.....

I have cast:
1 MM, 1 Invisibility, 3 FireBall, 1 controled Fireball, 1 Em Forcce sphere

Bale still commands a fine arsenal. Evil or Very Mad

Spells Memorized (normally):

Wizard spells: 0-[4] 1st-[4+1+1] 2nd-[3+1+1] 3rd-[3+1+1] 4th-[2+1+1]

4th- Controlled Fireball X 2, Emergency Force Sphere, Greater Invisibility
3rd- Fireball x 4, fly
2nd- Burning Arc x2, flaming Sphere, invisibility
1st- Burning Hands, Grease, Hydraulic push, Magic Missile x2, silent image (2 Pearls of Power)

0th-(at will) Ray of Frost, Prestidigitation, Open/Close, Spark

Sorcerer spells:

0 (at will)- Mage Hand, Read Magic, Detect Magic

1 (4) - Windy Escape, pro. evil, erase, featherfall

Wed May 17, 2017 12:05 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Snowball is fantastic in Rime Spell builds. It's a solid spell even without the Entangling bonus.

Wed May 17, 2017 6:31 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
What happens to a familiar when a wizard dies??? Crying or Very sad

Been doing some reading on this one.....
There is NO definitive answer, but it leans toward #2

Remember, Lady is an IMPROVED familiar. I like to think she carries a bit Balefire's soul.... sorta like the Harry Potter familiar of Voldamort.

a few ideas:

1) Poof... Familiars go when the master goes.
- Simple, Easy..... Would be fine if I did not want to be raised.

2) Story Device.... there are several stories where this happens. Reign of Winter (referenced this), Old Dragon Magazine tales talk about this.

EX#1 Lady loiters near the corpse/soul of Balefire. Distraught and Hellbent on raising her master. She has one turn of the moon to resolve the problem.
---- Player plays familiar until wizard raised.

Or, if the GM hates on Balefire...... I'll just roll up a new one... Wink

Thu May 18, 2017 7:23 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
For the most part, the rules are silent concerning this subject. Absent a hard rule, I can only apply logic derived from what the rules do say. A familiar is a "normal creature of its kind" until a Wizard (for our purposes, obviously there are other classes that use this ruleset) forms an arcane bond with it at which point the creature is no long of its type, but rather a Magical Beast. This bond can be broken when the familiar is dismissed or dies and it is only logical that when the Wizard dies, the bond would also be broken. From the FAQ discussing the voluntary breaking of the bond (i.e. dismissing a familiar) we have the following statement:

"...a special familiar from the Improved Familiar feat reverts to a normal creature of its type."

Since Lady is now an elemental, and lacking any bond or summoning to hold her to this plane of existence, she would return to the elemental plane of air. The items she would be carrying as personal items, would most likely go with her, but the parcel of goods she was delivering, would most likely drop to the ground. This means the parcel could possibly be found given a ranger and some divination spells of some sort (I leave that to the clever PCs to solve).

As a houserule, and to help make sense of the obscure familiar origins, we have held to the notion that a common spirit inhabits the body of a familiar. This allows for continuity should the PC want to change the familiar from one form to another. Lady was once a tiny raptor for instance, while Baxter spent some time as a scorpion. Later, they inhabited the body of different creatures. This allows for Lady to be brought back and of course, she would have an excellent idea of where she was located when the arcane bond was broken.

I know that all kind of sucks, but this was not a party wipe. Setbacks happen in long campaigns and ultimately serve as a point-of-interest, introducing new opportunities for roleplay, problem-solving, etc.

There is actually a good bit of wrap up info for me to share with you as I'm certain the party would have searched for loot and clues to the whereabouts of the missing Commander of the Black Arrows. Fort Rannick is now reclaimed and for that, no doubt you will all be heralded as great heroes. The villainous mayor of Magnimar will no doubt be greatly pleased, and possibly even foot the bill for the restoration of the party's wizard (Allen's call on that really). There is still much to do though here in the Hook Mountain region as we are only halfway through book 3. A return trip to Magnimar is possible, depending of course on what Allen wants to do.

More info a bit later today.

Thu May 18, 2017 9:33 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
The villainous mayor of Magnimar will no doubt be greatly pleased, and possibly even foot the bill for the restoration of the party's wizard (Allen's call on that really)..

Yes..... It happened to Gandalf.... I'II be back.

Thu May 18, 2017 9:43 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
BTW.... I was a bit shocked last night. I forgot one tid-bit..

Human Bane does not work on him..... he is not human.

He is ORC. Shocked

Thu May 18, 2017 10:05 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
marksman

Post Reply with quote
Weasel wrote:
scadgrad wrote:
The villainous mayor of Magnimar will no doubt be greatly pleased, and possibly even foot the bill for the restoration of the party's wizard (Allen's call on that really)..

Balefire the White.

Thu May 18, 2017 10:45 am View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Nope, you are both types; human and orc. Look at your character sheet.

Anyway, the extra 2d6 probably wouldn't have mattered that much anyway I don't think. It was a total of 7 points from the Bane effect. Also, I should have been rolling 2d6 so you're actually even more dead than we thought.

Thu May 18, 2017 11:01 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
Nope, you are both types; human and orc. Look at your character sheet.

Anyway, the extra 2d6 probably wouldn't have mattered that much anyway I don't think. It was a total of 7 points from the Bane effect. Also, I should have been rolling 2d6 so you're actually even more dead than we thought.

BUT< I IDENTIFY as a dragon..... Wink
not human...

therefore.... no effect Laughing

Thu May 18, 2017 11:09 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
marksman wrote:
Weasel wrote:
scadgrad wrote:

Balefire the White.

YES ! Shocked

Thu May 18, 2017 11:10 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The Ogre Sorceress had taken up in the Lord Commander's room and after searching it, the party finds a number of clues. A hidden compartment in a wine cabinet escaped the enemy's view. Within it you find a flat wooden coffer, a pair of soft green gloves and a tiny jewel box.

The coffer contains dozens of love sonnets beautifully written to someone named Myriana. A woman so beautiful that "the moon itself was blinded when it spied her dancing in the tarn" and who is "the truest grace to know Whitewillow's soft embrace." It would take a substantial KNOW (geography or local) to unravel this clue.

The boots are magical, but unidentified.

The jewelry box contains a fine silver locket with a lock of silky golden hair (worth 50 gp).

Clearly the Commander was having some sort of affair, questions to Jakardros and Vale might yield more info about his possible whereabouts.

A number of magical items are found on the two named Ogres, but they remain as of yet, unidentified.

Thu May 18, 2017 11:15 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
marksman

Post Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the game last night. It was challenging and kept us all on the edge of our seats. Except for Balefire, who was masterfully roleplaying difficult terrain. Wink

I also despise the charm, dominate, and confusion spell lines. Anything that takes a player's control away and uses him to hurt other players is painful to watch let alone roleplay.

What have we learned:

Evanora does not have healing spells. We need healing to backup Lucien or get him back on his feet.
Wands of CLW

We do not have a source of dispel magic to take care of bad effects like confusion. We need dispel magic at least.
Wand of Dispel Magic - However it will be at a low caster level, so it might not work, but Sunshi can spam it.
Scroll of Dispel Magic at higher CL.
Wand of Calm emotions - It counters confusion for the duration. However, it could be broken by damage.

We do not have a way to bring back recently killed characters.
Scroll with Breath of Life
Scroll with Raise Dead

We do not have a way to deal with ability drain.
Wand of Lesser Restoration (Palladin)

Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Page 76 of 89

Jump to: