Rise of the Runelord In Character
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs View previous topic
View next topic
Rise of the Runelord In Character
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
About a week after the incident at the Shadow Clock, you are summoned to a meeting with the Lord-Mayor, a person whom you have of late found to be as unscrupulous as his reputation would suggest. He is not loved at all by the local clergy or the Pathfinder Society, and though Lucien can confirm he is not evil, it is clear that the man is the sort who will always allow the ends to justify the means.

It appears that there is some sort of a trouble with a band of rangers, "a foul-tempered lot known as the Black Arrows" (the Lord-Mayor's own words), who are often deployed by the city in trouble spots throughout Varisia. Currently, they are holding Fort Rannick near the Hook Mountains for the Magnimar Government which lacks a suitable standing military company at present to relieve them. Lacking anyone at hand with the skill set to follow up on this problem, he turns to you. He pays you 750 gp up front to arrange for your travel and expenses for this journey, noting that the town of Turtleback Ferry will be your staging area. It is a journey of 1 week or 2 weeks dependent on whether one journeys on foot or mounted. The lands are occasionally patrolled, so a group of your size should expect to meet with little excitement along the way.

Certainly this is a situation that calls for action given the information found on Xanesha's crumbled note. Mardo knows of this group by reputation and knows them to be good folk and that if they've indeed fallen upon hard times, he and Lucien feel honor-bound to render aid. In the course of your preparations, an old contact appears; the ranger Shalelu.

Xanesha's crumbled note:

@ The Mayor's meeting all PCs present

Balefire wrote:
Lord Mayor, it seems that our interest are aligned. We have tracked this "Shedrieon Sin Cult" from Sandpoint. Sins such as lust, wrath, greed,... etc. attract this cult. They mark their victims with this symbol.

Somehow these sins are tied to rune wells....

I suspect you have seen this symbol.... Perhaps on murdered victims.... And, Lord Mayor you should also note that this "Shedrieon Sin Cult" has took notice of your soul.... [Bale pauses, here for dramatic effect] But, I will leave that up to you.

This Cult has taken away one of our party's own. I totally am committed to seeing the end of its leaders, followers, and stopping whatever influence it has.

If this cult has holdings or has attacked Turtleback Ferry/ Fort Rannick, we will get to the bottom of this.
(Bale nods to ranger Shalelu) I see that you have provided us a most excellent scout/guide for our journey.
She is known to us. (Bale smiles)

Lord Mayor, we will need a few days to prepare for this journey and recruit a new party member. There is a fair chance that we will be gone for sometime and many supplies will have to be bought.

We will leave at noon after the 5th sunrise from today. ( ie 5 1/2 days from now)

Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:41 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
marksman

Post Reply with quote
Weasel wrote:
@ Sunshi

Yes, it is complete.

{it only need 1/4 day, which is 2 hr of my time}

Balefire presents you with a simple dark purple monk's robe. Patterned into the fabric are small golden eagles in stylized positions that display your martial art.

Balefire wrote:
Athi helped pick out the birds.

Sunshi accepts the robe with unusual sobriety.

Sunshi wrote:

I will see that the spear of Athi Emberscream is not silenced by the likes of that creature...

Sunshi shows Balefire the newly engraved Kusarigama blade. It bears the image of a longspear on one side and a unicorn of the other. Engraved with all the skill of a master jeweler who has rediscovered his art, the engravings seem almost alive.

Sunshi wrote:

Her spear has not yet finished its work.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:51 am View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote

Sometime after the meeting...

Shalelu wrote:
Actually, I arrived here without any missive from that crook of a mayor. Sure, he's paying me a bit, but I have business of my own at the Fort. There's an older ranger there, a man I knew from my past. We parted on rather unfriendly terms and it's always bothered me. You might call him my step dad, but I never felt that way. He and my mother... well, I don't want to get into too much, but it's taken me some time to find his whereabouts. You might speak with Merle about keeping your affairs a bit more secure and safe. I'm not sure about using ravens if this group is as powerful as it sounds. Maybe he lacks magical means of getting messages delivered, I don't know. A lamia matriarch is far above my pay grade. I'm not even sure what those things are capable of, but I reckon they're powerful spell casters at minimum.

Anyhow, I can vouch for that group of rangers. They're fine folk, only interested in the protection of the weak and defending against marauders. If they've got problems, we should leave with haste. It will take about a week of travel on good horses, or we can hike it in about 2 weeks if you're worried about the cost of feed and the predators that the horses might attract. It's a relatively safe journey though, patrolled for most of the way.

Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:33 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
At first camp on the way to Turtleback Ferry.

Sidebar #3 Reflecting ---- "Shedrieon Sin Cult"

“In the Shoanti lands it is tradition to share our stories among our people….. And, to share with our friends. It is through our stories that one learns… who we are, who we have been, and who we may become.

[Lady in Improved form curls around Balefire anticipation of a story]
She uses a charge off of her wand of silent image to illustrate Balefire's story.

Tonight, I will reflect. Without the lack of a proper name, I will be referring to our adversary as the "Shedrieon Sin Cult".

In my homeland there is a there is a type of plant called a creosote bush.

While it looks like an isolated bush, it is not. Because this plant sends runners/ branches under the soil and every few hundred feet a new bush appears.

I suspect this "Shedrieon Sin Cult" is much like the creosote bush.

We might think that all the events we have experienced are isolated, but in truth they are .....NOT. [pause for dramatic effect]

{Lady makes the campfire suddenly flare up, and turn blue}

Let me explain.....

Nualia, Tsuto, and Quasit creature used the ancient ruins below Sandpoint to harvest wrath.

The evidence is quite clear from:
The ruins of an ancient city once ruled by none other than Runelord Alaznist
Sinspawn of Wrath
Nualia's notes proved most enlightening
-A personal background history of this sad Assimar's life
-Plans to destroy Sandpoint w/ goblin aid
-Plans to use the Rune Well below Sandpoint
-A link to some group in Magnimar [Seven, Skinsw cult]
-A dedication to Lamashtu
-How of deactivate the Rune Well of Wrath below Sandpoint

Aldren Foxglove aka Skinsaw man:
-Aldren became a pawn of Xanesha, either alive or in ghoul form, he committed murders in the name of the "Shedrieon Sin Cult".
-He actually carved shedrieons on his victims before killing them.
-He was working for Justice Ironbriar and Xanessha

Justice Ironbriar and Xanessha [Lamia Matriarch]
- Justice Ironbriar lead the cult of the Seven and was the right hand man/ lover of Xenshia
-Responsible for murders all over Magnimar

Xanessha and the crumbled note
http://battlebuddy.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=78936#78936

Now here is the bit that pulls it all together.
It appears that Xanessha is in charge of this area (Magnimar and Sandpoint). She is here to gather
souls of greed. Apparently the shedrieon mark allows the capture of these souls.

She has a sister is Turtleback/ Fort Rannick
this sister [Lamia Matriarch] has a different way of marking victims and is in the process of taking fort Rannick.

Balefire pauses allowing that which was said soak in.

Now, here is what I for see:

This Turtleback Ferry may be totally compromised. It could be full murder and infiltrated on all levels. I suspect there may be another rune well nearby to collect these souls........ And that Xanessha has most likely joined her sister.

But, for who.... or what I do not know.

For we may still only be able to see a few parts of this creosote bush.

But we will burn them .... ALL !

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:54 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Bass BB

Post Reply with quote
Evanora Emberscream approaches Magnimar with a sense of dread like she never felt before. Usually the treck back to her adopted home town was a happier one, but not today. Not after her last note from Athi describing a murder cult in Magnimar and a planned trip to the ancient Shadow Clock. When sharing that information with members of her coven they all affirmed her initial reaction - leave NOW Eva and you may be able to help your sister.

Once inside the city, Eva calmly entered the Inn of the Bridge's Shadow. She would have no problems finding out all the info she needed there - the people who frequent it had loose tongues and were easily "encouraged" to offer up their information. The first woman knew exactly of the people Eva asked her about, especially about the mage with a talent for burning places to the ground. She said that she last heard of the party headed for the Shadow Clock, although she knew no more. Needing more information she moved on to a greasy looking hooded man playing with his dagger. No sweet talk here - Eva gave him a look and he instantly buckled over in pain. After a half minute of it she smiled at him and explained to him he was going to answer her questions now about the group that went to the Shadow Tower. The grease-ball of a man smiled and asked "why do you care - are you in love with the bloodied cleric in white that got carried out of the tower?". And with that Evanora snapped, emitting a scream so loud and intense that greasy man instantly lost consciousness, laying face down on the table that was rapidly filling up with the blood pouring out of his ears. The rest of the Inn broke into a panic as Eva lifted her gnarled white staff in the air and FLEW out one of the windows leaving behind splinters of wood and broken glass.

As she streaked down the streets of Magnimar, furiously searching for her sister two burning questions consumed her -

WHO killed Athi and WHY didn't her friends save her?

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
marksman

Post Reply with quote
Sunshi wrote:

We killed Athi....why didn't we save her!

Falls face forward on the table passed out, a dozen bottles a various types scattering to the tavern floor.

A few seconds pass before he snaps upright again and begins drunkenly sorting through the bottles to find one that he had not finished.

Sunshi drinks deeply from a bottle he found on the floor... wrote:

"She was the only normal one among us", pointing menacingly in the general direction of his blurry companions.
"She didn't have antlers coming out of her head. She didn't try to burn down every town she entered. She was not more at home in the dark than any natural creature has a right to be.
And she actually had a home and family she could return to."
"We killed her by bringing an innocent into this nightmare we are ensnared in."

"And I...I am the foulest of all of you", pointing in a completely different direction having lost track of his blurry companions. "I should have known better."

Sunshi begins to sing in a loud, drunken, out of tune, voice.
Sunshi wrote:

Sakura, sakura
Ya-yo-I-no so-ra-wa
Mi-wa-ta-su ka-gi-ri
Ka-su-mi-ka ku-mo-ka
Ni-o-i-zo i-zu-ru
I-za-ya
I-za-ya
Mi—ni—
Yu-ka-n

Ka-su-mi-ka ku-mo-ka
Ni-o-i-zo i-zu-ru
I-za-ya
I-za-ya
Mi—ni—
Yu-ka-n

Last edited by marksman on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
Balfire's log

It has been one week sense Athi's death. Athi's half sister has joined us. Evanora is nothing like her sister. And, to be truthful Im not sure she is trustable, only time will tell.
I will leave judgment up to Lucien. On a positive note Shalelu is back, her sense of humor reminds me of some of the women in my tribe....

Lady volunteered to stay back and wait the completion of some items. She should join us in a week. Lady has always had an independent streak in her.

Turtleback Ferry is a small lake village that subsist on trade around the lake which it is founded on. It has only the basic accommodations.

THE INN...

The tavern..

Traveling to Fort Rannick..

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:46 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
Balfire's log

It has been one week sense Athi's death. Athi's half sister has joined us. Evanora is nothing like her sister. And, to be truthful Im not sure she is trustable, only time will tell.
I will leave judgment up to Lucien. On a positive note Shalelu is back, her sense of humor reminds me of some of the women in my tribe....

Lady volunteered to stay back and wait the completion of some items. She should join us in a week. Lady has always had an independent streak in her.

Turtleback Ferry is a small lake village that subsist on trade around the lake which it is founded on. It has only the basic accommodations.

THE INN...

Trying mingle with the locals proves fruitless... We caught a glimpse of an interesting tattoo, but as we are thrown out of the inn as we inquired about it.

*** Sidenote: I am writing a formal complaint to the BBB; and posting negative reviews on travel advisor *** Hospitality in this Fishtown is at an all time low.

mmm, perhaps they are all Shiedreon Cult members....

The tavern..
The tavern proved not to be much better. Few random rumors Something about 'Paradise' or "A Pair of Dice" and that a Ranger had been sighted in the swamp near the town.

Traveling to Fort Rannick.

Being the village was a dead end for information and we were now 'unwelcome', party decided to take the trip up to Fort Rannick.
On the way to the fort.

I hear the sounds of a large cat. The cat is apparently caught in a bear trap. Mardo senses this cat is a Druid or Rangers companion. We have trouble freeing the animal and result to using an 'chime of opening'. Hearing what is most likely a hunter and his dogs, I cloak the area as a small grove of trees and heavy thorns.

Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:46 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Purple Knight

Post Reply with quote
Trying my best to keep this in "convo" terms

Mardo wrote:
@Party Does anyone but me find it odd that an Inn, a place that relies on customers, would be hostile against us from the outset? Maybe I irritated the lass with my ill timed comments, but she was giving off that "hostile" vibe before that. I know what I saw in regards to her tatoo.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:19 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
marksman

Post Reply with quote
Sunshi wrote:

She was definitely hiding something. I thought to follow her and see who she ran to. However, at that point in the evening, the floor was moving around too violently to guarantee stealth.

And the bartender waters his wine. Even if they are not cultists, they are definitely evil.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:39 pm View user's profile Send private message
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
Balefire wrote:
I have already noted this Fishtowns hospitality in my logs. (see above)

There is a fair chance that Xanishia's sister has taken total control of the town. They could be charmed, threatened, coerced, or all cult members. And, thus ordered to eject and outsiders....

Perhaps, it was for the best..... the idea of being murdered as we slept in the inn by cultist ignites my blood.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:18 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
Balefire's Log

The cat says it is the companion of a ranger name Jacardous, his master is has been captured. (learned vis speak w/ animal)

From the clearing, enters a large humanoid, an ogre-kin with half a dozen hunting dogs. We quickly end them and Mardo befriends one of the dogs.

With the ranger's cat, our party is lead to a small ogrekin farmstead. Upon entry, Evanora 'slumbers' the farms guard.

*** cross-reference: Witch 'Slumber' ***** These entity taught people are VERY dangerous. I will keep an eye on her. I was never for letting someone like this into the group, but she is Athi's sister............ but, it is odd how her magic compliments my own.... perhaps we can work together for the greater good.

Farmstead lay out:

Large house on westside, barn on eastside.

Mardo and Evenora investigate the barn and make quick work of the 3 ogrekin that are there. They were apparently working a primitive 'still'.

In the back of the barn, we find 3 Black Arrow survivors.... guarded by an enormous spider. I quickly 'frostball' the spider and avoid the captives and Lucien with the spell.

The men are in bad shape, but alive.

Jacardous is reunited with his cat and explains is story.
Quote:

He was on patrol and was delayed.... When he arrived at Fort Ranick, it was already taken by ogres. He lost a third of his men trying to retake the fort. In the end, they tried to make a break for Turtleback Ferry, but were captured by this group of Ogrekin. The three of them is all that is left of the Black Arrows

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:14 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post FYI Reply with quote
Jakardos Sovark

Order of the Black Arrows

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:43 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
marksman

Post Reply with quote
@Jakardos Sovark

Sunshi wrote:

Shalelu is a remarkable person, even if she was cursed to be born so far from the civilization of Tian Xia.

Life is full of hardships and misery and very little joy. It would be unwise to deny yourself the joy of seeing a daughter grown strong and beautiful.

She was not happy about not coming with us herself to find the remaining Black Arrows, but she is a creature of duty. Perhaps there is more common ground than you realize.

Besides, no one can avoid Shalelu if she wishes to find them. Either face her now, or be faced with explaining to her why you refused to do so when she finds you.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:02 am View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Jakardros wrote:
I'm sure she looks no different today than she did some 20 odd years ago. She and her Mom looked like sisters... until I got to know them a bit better, Hell I thought they were sisters. Damn Elves, I guess they live forever. I'd say Shalelu is older than you and I put together Old Man. I'll speak with her soon enough. After what I saw in the barn back there, these assholes don't stand much of a chance against you lot. Kill 'em slow and make it painful says I. I'll speak with her after this is finished since as you say, there's clearly no avoiding her.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:41 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: