battlebuddy.org Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Stop Messing Around and Play it - Pillars of Eternity

Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » PC, Console & MMOs View previous topic
View next topic
Stop Messing Around and Play it - Pillars of Eternity
Bass BB

Post Stop Messing Around and Play it - Pillars of Eternity Reply with quote
If you read this forum you like RPGs. This means you like this game (even if you don't know it yet) -

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291650/

Here are some of the reviews -

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/27/pillars-of-eternity-review

http://www.pcgamer.com/pillars-of-eternity-review/

O and it's on sale this weekend - https://www.gog.com/game/pillars_of_eternity_hero_edition

Why I like it -

- Party Management is a treat. Along the way, your character will meet NPCs that you can add to your party (max party size = 6). All of them have their own personalities and cool backstories. They also each have side quests associated with their pasts. My favorite is Aloth, the stoic Elf Mage who's body has been occupied by an additional soul that comes out in times of pressure or danger. That other soul is a bad-ass foul mouthed Scott that spouts off some hilarious stuff. Various other party members will try to coax that other soul out just because. I'm also a fan of the Monk that you find hiding in a barrel full of fish (who in combat can do some absolutely sick stuff). You can also create your own NPCs to go with you, although they will not have the back stories and conversations of the normal NPCs. Still a great option though if your current party is missing a key piece like a tank, rouge, etc.

- You can retrain any person in your party at any time (for a fee). Much like 3.5 each character can be customized with feat like abilities.

- The basic RPG classes are all present with the addition of the Cipher, who basically uses drained soul energy from enemies to use various spell/psionic type abilities. As you damage an enemy, a portion of that damage gets converted to Focus. The more focus you have, the more deadly the ability you can use (example, if you have 20+ focus you can cast a 2nd level ability, etc.). It means that as long as you keep regenerating your Focus you have no cap on the number of spells you can cast. My main character is a Cipher and she sits back with her war bow dealing damage, gaining focus, then usually casting a charm or dominate on an enemy then sitting back and laughing. There are also more destructive abilities like Mind Lance (that can pierce multiple enemies) and Soul Detonate that does what is says...

- I play the game on Hard mode, and it is hard. My party dies if I get too cocky or if I run into a group that can just overwhelm you. Combat is not click and go - you really have to manage it well which is made easier by being able to pause it at any time to issue orders to your crew. Strategy is key here and there are endless ways to approach each combat.

- The overall story is great and there are more side quests than you can ever accomplish. Much like Skyrim you can play forever ignoring the main quest, although you will need to progress through it to unlock additional areas of the map.

- You get your own stronghold Cool It's basically a wreck when you gain control of it but you can restore various areas of the keep if you have the money. You'll be able to essentially create your own home base from it as you restore various areas. It does have to be managed and defended from bandit raids and other "events". O and it has a friggin nightmare dungeon below it (I've already had like 8 TPK's in them).

Anyway, enough talking. Have fun!

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:54 am View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Ooh, Steam sale item!

Nice review here Bill. On your recommend, I'll grab it later today. I think I'll move the thread to the other forum though.

Question, how kid friendly is it?

Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:29 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I haz a sad, that not Steam, that Gog, what iz Gog?

Guess I need to wait for a Steam sale since I really don't care to get yet another account of something. Confused

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:02 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Man, I got all excited to play, but $50 on Steam, guess I haz to wait.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bass BB

Post Reply with quote
I have a hunch steam will put it on sale soon since they just announced the sequel a few days ago.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Put a post in this thread if you notice it. I've got it marked on my Wish List, but I don't know if that will generate an email.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:21 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bass BB

Post Reply with quote
O sorry Tony - It's kid friendly. There are a few curse words here and there in the convo's but no nekked succubi or such running around (at least not so far!).

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
Bass BB

Post Reply with quote
http://www.wingamestore.com/product/3781/Pillars-of-Eternity-Hero-Edition/

Here's your sale. I'd snatch up the expansion too, it's really good.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It finally popped up on Steam for sale. DL-ing it now. Smile

Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:56 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » PC, Console & MMOs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: