Talk About My Future AP Character
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs View previous topic
View next topic
Talk About My Future AP Character
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Talk About My Future AP Character Reply with quote
So here you go gang, a thread for planning future PCs and NPCs. Have at it.

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:01 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vimlareon

Post Reply with quote
Starting a new AP? Or just mind brewing.

"Listen Vimlareon. It's a large world out there, and I taught you all I know. If you wish to learn more about magic, there is no better teacher than experience itself. May your quest to become an archmage be fulfilled."
Mirillium, Vim's master
Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:18 am View user's profile Send private message
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
just brainstorming games.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:16 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Not yet, Vim, about a 1/3rd of the way through RotR. Still missing Merle (wipes tear away) and the goods time back at the Rusty Dragon back before the world grew so complicated. LOL

Derrick was game-planning a Next AP character in our thread so I thought it would be best to start a new sticky so folks can kick around ideas when they get them.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:56 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
Purple Knight wrote:
Don't really make memes, but...

Here is something we could do in the interim, comment on my inquisitor idea. As we all know, I really wanted to play an inquisitor for this AP, but I didn’t because we needed a front line fighter and no one wanted to play one (by the way, for the next AP, someone else will have to play it because I am playing the Inquisitor and he will not be built to be a front line fighter).

I’ve gone back and forth on different builds, to include an archery build (which is actually kind of still on the table, btw, but a much different feat progression and stat build), a reach build, and looked at several of the “optimal builds” on the internet (which apparently the favorite for that is a halfling Inquisitor with a Tiger animal companion as a mount-but I just could not go there). What I am looking at now is a Channeler/Intimidator type build, primarily because all the guides said Channeling was not worth the time for inquisitor and I wanted to see what I could do with. Ultimately, I like the added dimension to the character.

Anyway, here is what I have been looking at:
Aasimar, starting stats: S 12, C 13, D 12, I 10, W 15, CH 16. Ability Increases go into C at 4 and W at 8 and thereafter. Aasimar Racial Trait Halo and Demoralize Foes.
1st Level Cleric, Then Inquisitor thereafter:
Feats:
1 Selective Channel
3 Channel Scourge (Cleric and Inquisitor levels stack for determining Channel dice)
5 Signature Skill (Intimidate)---potentially Frighten, Panic, or Cower opponents that are Intimidated
7 Quick Channel
9 Leadership (if we need an item maker or to shore up weakness in the party, if not may go with something else—could take at 7th if needed and take Quick Channel at 9th)
11 Extra Turn
Team Work Feats would be
4: Scarred Legion (in the form of Celestial Script scarred onto his body)
7: Lookout (act in a surprise round if any ally can also act in the surprise round)
10: Shake if Off

He more or less comes together at 5th level once he gets the signature skill. At the same time he gets the spell Blistering Invective which will allow him to use his intimidate skill against every opponent in a 30ft radius as well as do 1d10 damage to each foe demoralized (no save), and if they take damage they have to Reflex 15 or catch on fire (2nd level spell and will be the one I imagine he casts the most). His Intimidate skill will be +19 at 5th level, +26 at 10th level (possibly higher, there are some traits and items that boost intimidate as well). The DC on intimidate is the Opponents 10+HD+CHA, which will likely be exceeded just by the bonus. For every 5 the exceeded the effect lasts and additional round. The Memorable trait makes the effect last 1.5 times normal. So do this on the first round and it will likely have effect (for at least Shaken) for 3 rounds or more.
Per Signature Skill:
5 Ranks: If you exceed the DC to demoralize a target by at least 10, it is frightened for 1 round and shaken thereafter. A Will save (DC = 10 + your number of ranks in Intimidate) negates the frightened condition, but the target is still shaken, even if it has the stalwart ability.
10 Ranks: If you exceed the DC to demoralize a target by at least 10, it is panicked for 1 round or frightened for 1d4 rounds (your choice) and shaken thereafter. A Will save (DC = 10 + your number of ranks in Intimidate) negates the frightened or panicked condition, but the target is still shaken, even if it has the stalwart ability.
15 Ranks: If you exceed the DC to demoralize a target by at least 20, it is cowering for 1 round or panicked for 1d4 rounds (your choice) and frightened thereafter. A Will save (DC = 10 + your number of ranks in Intimidate) negates the cowering, panicked, and frightened conditions, but the target is still shaken, even if it has the stalwart ability.
20 Ranks: If you exceed the DC to demoralize a target by at least 20, it is cowering for 1d4 rounds and panicked thereafter. A Will save (DC = 10 + your number of ranks in Intimidate) negates the cowering and panicked conditions, but the target is still shaken, even if it has the stalwart ability.

If we don’t have a dedicated healer, being able to Channel and not heal the enemy could go a long way to keeping the party up and fighting, and once he hits 7th level he can heal via channel and still take other actions as well.

Thoughts? Comments?

I sorta like this. It's almost a total Cha build. (as we all know keying off just one stat is awesome) I would try go more HtH and add:

Cornugon Smash (Combat) feat http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/cornugon-smash-combat/

You have a gazillion options... Inquisitor is pretty good, so here's what you do:
Reformation Inquisition for Wisdom-to-Intimidate and free Intimidate rerolls. --- WIS build
Stern Gaze for 1/2 level to Intimidate.
Intimidating Prowess for STR-to-Intimidate. ------------ STR build
Signature Skill feat on Intimidate to make enemies cower and panic and what not.
Deathless Gaze feat, perhaps, will also help at that. Need a few more Damnation Feats to make it worth it.
Dazzling Display, Disheartening Display work wonders.
Cornugon Smash and Power Attack finish this up.

Add a whip for fun

Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:41 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Purple Knight

Post Reply with quote
The dazzling display feat tree was how the build was before I incorporated the channeling, and I was still thinking that might be the 7, 9, and 11 level feat. Also, I can do it with a pure wisdom build so no need to make Charisma as high. Still trying to consider how useful channeling will be. If we don't have a dedicated healer I figured it would allow the inquisitor to fill that role for the group.

Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:15 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
It's hard mainly because we don't know what AP we will hit.

I like to tailor the character to the AP path.

Im wanting to do something different myself ..... almost ready to let every one pick what I play. --- just for the RPing change/ challenge Cool

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:40 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I've not been all that impressed by the Intimidate builds, at least in practice. I think Jim's current Trip-focused build is quite a bit more effective since it cripples the enemy's action economy. In so many instances, the dudes swinging at you need absurd luck to do any meaningful damage and so the -2 from Demoralize is not as effective as crippling their action economy would be. Just my two coppers on that. Certainly adding Blistering Invective has some potential and if noting else it sounds fun.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:10 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
I've not been all that impressed by the Intimidate builds, at least in practice. I think Jim's current Trip-focused build is quite a bit more effective since it cripples the enemy's action economy. In so many instances, the dudes swinging at you need absurd luck to do any meaningful damage and so the -2 from Demoralize is not as effective as crippling their action economy would be. Just my two coppers on that. Certainly adding Blistering Invective has some potential and if noting else it sounds fun.

^^ that

Plus if they are immune to fear/ mind effecting affects they are immune to intimidate.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:47 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Purple Knight

Post Reply with quote
Yes, and there will be a lot of things, like Undead, that it simply will not work for which is why I started looking at Channeling instead of just a pure Intimidate build. I may not be able to intimidate it, but I can help keep everyone on their feet while we deal with it...that sort of thing.

However, I noted that -2 having a pretty significant impact when Jimmy was dishing it out (I don't think anyone would ever turn away a +2 AC bonus just because it was only +2). Still, simply being able to give someone the shaken condition is probably not that significant, but the ability to frighten or panic an opponent is a whole different ball game. Particularly if I decide to go with the Disheartening Display route. Round 1 (by that level) Panic them, Rd two, assuming they are still around, Cower them and let the fighter types wail on them.

I hear what you are saying on which AP as well, but as I play with the Inquisitor I am finding that it is very versatile so I can likely adapt it as needed. I don't know if I will like it as much as the Magus, but it still seems like a fun build.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:08 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
Purple Knight wrote:

I hear what you are saying on which AP as well, but as I play with the Inquisitor I am finding that it is very versatile so I can likely adapt it as needed. I don't know if I will like it as much as the Magus, but it still seems like a fun build.

Totally agree that inquisitor is made of awesome. It is one of the best looking classes on paper...

--- as to race.... we should all play Aasimar. Very Happy

Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:52 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Purple Knight

Post Reply with quote
agreed

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:33 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
marksman

Post Reply with quote
[quote="Weasel"]
Purple Knight wrote:

--- as to race.... we should all play Aasimar. Very Happy

Just to throw a rock in the pond...How about an aasimar goblin cleric of a good diety. Smile

He was given a vision near Brinewall Keep. A disembodied voice near a shrine told him all about Desna. The voice talked to him many days and began to teach him the ways of Desna's representatives on this plane. After months, he was ready to bring the words of Desna to his people. They stoned him...and tried to burn him...and poked him with sharp sticks. So he sought to spread the word of Desna elsewhere.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
Purple Knight

Post Reply with quote
I think that sooner or later, Jim will be playing a Goblin.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:19 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
Purple Knight wrote:
I think that sooner or later, Jim will be playing a Goblin.

If he does l"ll play an ogre. Laughing

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:28 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: