Talk About My Future AP Character
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs View previous topic
View next topic
Talk About My Future AP Character
marksman

Post Reply with quote
Purple Knight wrote:
I think that sooner or later, Jim will be playing a Goblin.

What's not to like about those wacky homicidal pyromaniacs?

Not sure how it would work in a party though. If I could figure out a setup where the party had a reason to be tolerant of his presence, and maybe he had a strong motivation to help the party on the overall goal, it could work out.

In the current campaign, I thought if I played the goblin I had come up with early on, I would have had him tied to Balefire. He was nearby and saw Balefire roast the barn full of ghouls. Balefire is obviously some kind of God of fire. The little goblin sorcerer, follows Balefire around like a lost puppy happily helping to incinerate his enemies. As he grows in power he sees himself as the high priest of the new Balefire Religion of Fire and proclaims it to the masses, probably disguised as an ugly dwarf after the first few mishaps.

I would even have him dress like Balefire in imitations of Balefire's robes, albeit of poor quality. He would proudly proclaim he made them himself.

I think it could be entertaining. And mechanics wise, he could be a strong sorceror. Although, it might have the party on edge when he is nearby with a wand of fireballs. He would not waste precious feats on any of that shape spell nonsense. He would go maximized, intensified, and echoing (so he can do it again next round). Smile

Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
Purple Knight

Post Reply with quote
He would be a short lived character with a Ranger in the group who has Goblinoid as favored enemy the first time he was included in a fireball.... Very Happy

Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:55 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
marksman

Post Reply with quote
Purple Knight wrote:
He would be a short lived character with a Ranger in the group who has Goblinoid as favored enemy the first time he was included in a fireball.... Very Happy

"But the holy cleansing fire of the the God Balefire is a good thing. More of it must be better." Smile

If he survived his first mistake, he would probably learn a little caution where Rangers that do not see the beauty of fire are concerned. Laughing

Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
YES! With the blood of both dragons and orcs, Balefire could be seen as a 'god' to the orcs and goblins!! Twisted Evil

Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:16 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
Weasel wrote:
Purple Knight wrote:
I think that sooner or later, Jim will be playing a Goblin.

If he does l"ll play an ogre. Laughing

Looking at the playable races, Ogres are available.

If I were to look for a BIG dumb guy to play would

Half ogres, ogres, etc be available?

I'm thinking. Half ogre Druid!

Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:18 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Jeff is playing a Goblin Cleric of Yog Sotthoth in our Giantslayer campaign. He gets excited when Fade immolates giants and then breaks the game with the hysterical T Rex.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:45 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Purple Knight

Post Reply with quote
Dinosaurs--ugh.

Its on a different computer, but sometime today I will try to post my Human Archer Inquisitor.

Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:47 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
Anybody heard of any awesome DRUID builds.

Im talking about the eat face type. A strength build.

I want to be as strong as possible....

like Ogre, half ogre, or Human

Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:27 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Purple Knight

Post Reply with quote
I sincerely hope we are not going to start to get crazy with Ogre player characters.

Since we were talking about dinosaurs though, there is the Goliath (Archetype) Druid. Throw in Variant Multiclass Monk since you will likely be shape shifted a lot and not getting the benefit of Armor anyway, then load up on Grappling ability.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:04 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
Purple Knight wrote:
I sincerely hope we are not going to start to get crazy with Ogre player characters.

Since we were talking about dinosaurs though, there is the Goliath (Archetype) Druid. Throw in Variant Multiclass Monk since you will likely be shape shifted a lot and not getting the benefit of Armor anyway, then load up on Grappling ability.

naaaa, no Ogres.. Razz

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:25 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Purple Knight

Post Reply with quote
forgot to post the Archer build:

Crossbow Inquisitor
S 10
I 10
W 15
D 17 (+2 from Human)
C 13
CH 8
Likely will take the Darkvision alternate racial trait again as it is too good to pass up.

Light Crossbow at 1st Level, Hvy Crossbow at 3rd Level

1 Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
3 Rapid Reload (Heavy Crossbow)
5 Rapid Shot
7 Crossbow Mastery
9 Clustered Shot (at this point, a full attack action will be 3 1d10 (plus judgment damage/bane damage/any magic bonuses he can obtain) bolts per round and they will be counted as a single shot for the purposes of overcoming DR)

May throw in the Signature Skill (Intimidate) at 11th level.
The concept is to have him pepper enemies that are locked into combat with the melee type. Unfortunately the Rapid Shot will not help him much until he is able to take Crossbow Mastery (he will have 2 attacks per round at 7th and then 3 at 8th level once reloading is a free action), but ultimately he will be able to dish out quite a bit of damage in one round when you factor in Bane, Judgments, and whateever magic he can augment the Heavy Crossbow with.

Teamwork Feats
3 Lookout
6 Shake it Off
There are actually a number of Teamwork feats that may be of use. With Solo Tactics, he can always change his most recently obtained Teamwork feat to suit the situation.

Upside of this build is he has the potential of putting out a lot more damage at higher levels against a single opponent.

Downside of this build is he will not a very effective healer for the party (if we don’t otherwise have a dedicated healer). He will likely not be all that close to combat so casing “cure spells” (unless he gets a Reach rod or something similar) and unlike the other build there will be no channeling.

He will not be the “intimidator” the other build is, though he will still be good at intimidating so it is likely he will be able to at least get the “shaken” condition on the bad guys more often than not, particularly when he can cast blistering invective and can hit all enemies at once. But his bonus on the roll will not be anywhere near as good as the other build (at least 6-8 points less, minimum).

So essentially, the trade off is increased damage potential at higher levels for a little less utility.

Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:37 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Weasel

Post Reply with quote
I like the first one better.

I imagine the archer cleric would be better than the Xbow inquisitior

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:45 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Purple Knight

Post Reply with quote
I'm not so sure about that. Don't forget that by the time the Inquisitor gets to Crossbow mastery, he will also have the bane ability and his judgment bonus will be at least +2 to hit and damage. At that point he will have at least a +1 crossbow, so his damage with bane is going to be somewhere along the lines of 1d10+2d6+(at least) 5 and he will not require any time to buff up.

Inquisitors have access to the long bow, so he can always use that until Crossbow master kicks in with rapid shot if there is an absolute need for multiple shots, but I think the increased crit chance (maybe a Keen Crossbow as well?) and increased damage make the crossbow really worth it.

However, all things being equal, I like the channeler/intimidator better. It also has some versatility at higher levels. By changing 3 feats (7,9,& 11) by 11th level with a rod of quicken, he would have a good chance of causing panic to multiple opponents with the intimidate feature of blistering invective as a swift action, then shifting that to cowering via Disheartening Display for a minimum of 3 rounds for all opponents within 30' (or at the very least make them frightened if they make the Blistering Invective Will save).

Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:33 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
marksman

Post Reply with quote
Purple Knight wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. Don't forget that by the time the Inquisitor gets to Crossbow mastery, he will also have the bane ability and his judgment bonus will be at least +2 to hit and damage. At that point he will have at least a +1 crossbow, so his damage with bane is going to be somewhere along the lines of 1d10+2d6+(at least) 5 and he will not require any time to buff up.

Inquisitors have access to the long bow, so he can always use that until Crossbow master kicks in with rapid shot if there is an absolute need for multiple shots, but I think the increased crit chance (maybe a Keen Crossbow as well?) and increased damage make the crossbow really worth it.

However, all things being equal, I like the channeler/intimidator better. It also has some versatility at higher levels. By changing 3 feats (7,9,& 11) by 11th level with a rod of quicken, he would have a good chance of causing panic to multiple opponents with the intimidate feature of blistering invective as a swift action, then shifting that to cowering via Disheartening Display for a minimum of 3 rounds for all opponents within 30' (or at the very least make them frightened if they make the Blistering Invective Will save).

What opponents will not be affected by intimidate?

Undead I assume?

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:16 pm View user's profile Send private message
Purple Knight

Post Reply with quote
Undead definitely, anything immune to moral effects. The channel ability will affect undead, and against other stuff intimidate won't affect he would keep the party going by channeling after casting sanctuary.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:26 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: