RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Jeff's Summer 5E Run
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs View previous topic
View next topic
Jeff's Summer 5E Run
Overdog

Post Jeff's Summer 5E Run Reply with quote
So first off...F ya...we finished a Pathfinder AP. The first for many of us.

We were talking last night after we finished it (after about 1.5 years of playing) and some of us have been playing PF for 19 years and that is the first AP we have ever finished. Crazy!!!!

I died so many times (6-7x) that my last incarnation of my character was a fire crazed reincarnated Goblin Priest of Yog-Sothoth. Man those Yog-Sothothian priests make insane summoners.

Anyway...thanks Tony for running a great game. It was a blast.

With that we will be taking a break from PF for about a month so some ideas that were tossed around were the following:

1. Me running a short 2-3 session 5e game to introduce some to 5e and see if there is any appeal there.

or

2. Run some Battletech miniature arena battles.

or both.

Any other ideas out there? Any preference over those 2? Order of preference?

Stealth Edit Part 2 since we're actually playing on Thursday this week.
Sun May 14, 2017 12:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I was going to start this post, but glad you did so. Actually, this weekend will need to be a Friday session. We're doing a family camping weekend and will be gone Sat & Sun. Yes, Giantslayer was more fun than I thought it would be at first. The first 2 books seem like such a long time ago, but man were they violent. Again, it's great when you're able to finish an AP though and I think everyone enjoyed the way it played out. Total dominance in the final 2 books, but I think that goes hand-and-hand with skillful play and powerhouse characters. I fell it's tough to write encounters for characters above 12th level or so particularly when they're predictable foes. I felt like the high level play in Jade Regent was more challenging to be honest. OTOH< after getting our arses handed to us for several books, it was fun to let the T Rex run wild on those poor giant bastards. That scene along with Jim's lava diving incident will be ones that we laugh about for many years to come.

The next 4 or 5 sessions are yours and Allen's. We'll do some Mechwarrior and 5E. I don't care how it gets divvied up, but you two are in charge. So, you and Allen decide what we're doing this Friday. Smile

As for the next AP, I've read over the reviews and given it some thought.

Ironfang Invasion
Sounds a lot like the first 2 books of Giantslayer except with hobgoblins rather than the orcs. Also, it's not completely been released yet so, I prefer to wait to be honest. DM's Excitment Factor 3.5/5

Curse of the Crimson Throne
I have not played this classic, but J & A have at least played through parts of it. Might be best to wait another couple of years so it will seem a bit more distant for them. Great story and classic Varisian setting, plus they've updated quite a bit of the material with the new release. DM's Excitment Factor 4/5

Strange Aeons
I'm not sure why y'all became so unexcited about this one because it still looks pretty awesome to me. The Mythos appeal, fighting cultists and other creatures that will be mostly new to you (at least in PF) could be a lot of fun. I'd be hyped to jump in on this one. DM's Excitment Factor 4.5/5

Hell's Rebels
Great reviews and sounds like much fun to be had in this mostly urban setting AP. I'm certainly down to run this one if everyone is willing to play revolutionaries. DM's Excitment Factor 4.5/5

There are others of course that I would enjoy, but this seems to be the most-discussed ones to date. I vote for either Strange Aeons or Hell's Rebels. We'll plan on starting in about 1 month.

Sun May 14, 2017 7:09 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
In terms of the next AP my vote is for Hell's Rebels. I agree that the Hobgoblin one is a bit too close to Giant Slayer and I am not super enthused about the Strange Aeons because I just played a priest of an outer god.

I will start running the 5e session this Friday at 830. We can sit down and make characters on Friday or you can make them ahead of time if you want. Up to you all. All I ask is you look over the PHB and at least have an idea of something you would like to play. 5e is much more flexible with their classes so you can play just about any mix and it can work.

For stats I use the point buy system in the PHB.

If anyone needs it here is a link a PDF of the PHB

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-DGZEhoXwDtQlYzVFNncktLRVE

I dont allow Dragonborn but other than that its open.

You will start in the port city of Jappur in the League of Ordwyn. It is a frontier town on the farthest southern point of the League of Ordwyn. South of the town is the Yarasal J'naria, a vast wild wilderness home to savage barbarians and humanoid tribes of all types. Scattered throughout that wilderness are the ruins of an ancient civilization called the Kingdom of Emere. The southern edge of the League was once guarded and protected by a triad of sisters called the Storm Sisters. They were each powerful sorcerers that lived in towers that never seemed to stay in the same place. About 100 years ago all 3 sisters sacrificed themselves to destroy an invading army of evil humanoids and demons. Every once in awhile someone will spot the ruins of one of their towers only to find it gone when they return to investigate it.

The town of Jappur's main economic income comes from tourism. They have several hunting lodges that guide visitors into the Yarasal J'naria to hunt exotic monsters. This attracts wealthy thrill seekers from distant lands as well as scholars and archaeologists who wish to be guided to the ruins of Emere. As such the town also specializes in exotic foods and drink to entice the tourists. There are dining experiences from as far west as the countries of Syrama and Karnish and to east from Zaramal and Urgolia and including fine wines from the great vineyards of Taran in the Northern Territories.

Adventurers come here as it is a logical staging area for any travel into the wildlands of the south. The pantheon of gods come from the 1st Ed Deities and Demigods and a handful of custom gods native to the setting.

I will try to run a short ~3 session adventure that will level you from 1-3 as 3rd is a keystone level for characters in 5e.
Sun May 14, 2017 11:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Sounds cool.

I'll start prepping Hell's Rebels (already have the first 2 books) unless there is a major objection from someone in the group. There are 2 of us voting pretty strongly for this one so speak up in the next few days if you have issues with it.

Mon May 15, 2017 10:46 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Alan

Post Reply with quote
sounds cool....I would like to bring my rogue (for jeff's 5th)....i guess it would just be better to reroll him (he is going to be restarted anyway, so, why not?) Hells rebels if fine by me tony, ill start thinking about a character.
Mon May 15, 2017 1:40 pm View user's profile Send private message
Rhollo

Post Reply with quote
I had a great time playing through giants. Will try to stay out of the lava in the next AP.

Hell's Rebels, sounds great. Think I may look at a Theif type of character. Looking forward to the 5e introduction, will start reading PHB in detail.

“if you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm…”
Mon May 15, 2017 6:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
@ Jeff,

I'm pretty sure that Hero Labs supports 5E right? Should I use it for char gen? Anything I should watch out for?

Mon May 15, 2017 7:44 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
@ Jeff,

I'm pretty sure that Hero Labs supports 5E right? Should I use it for char gen? Anything I should watch out for?

I am pretty sure its just the SRD which is not everything for 5e. Besides you really dont need it for 5e.
Mon May 15, 2017 9:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I'm assuming these are regular characters without doing the optional stuff in Ch 6? How important are the Backgrounds? Reminds me of White Wolf and honestly, was surprised that this is part of the core rules.

Tue May 16, 2017 10:18 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
I'm assuming these are regular characters without doing the optional stuff in Ch 6? How important are the Backgrounds? Reminds me of White Wolf and honestly, was surprised that this is part of the core rules.

No, actually Hero labs only has a percentage of the rules and character building rules. For example, for the Fighter you can only select the Champion archetype and doesnt show the Battlemaster and Eldritch Knight options. It also doesnt list all the spells and several other items including backgrounds.

The background stuff is a requirement and not an optional rule. I really like it because it helps players get a good feel for their characters and allows me to fill in their backstory.

All that being said you can make your character in there since you dont need to select your Archetype until third and you can manually add in other items like backgrounds. I personally think its a waste of money as 5e doesnt require you to track things like PF does. We typically do it old school pen and paper.

BTW...here is a link an old school 1st ED character sheet for 5e.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-DGZEhoXwDtZC0wQjF6bXE4OU0
Tue May 16, 2017 10:47 am View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Fandruhl Moongrove
1st Level Wood Elf Druid
Chaotic Good
5' 9" 135 lbs
AC 15 (leather armor, wooden shd + dex)
HP 10
STR 12
DEX 14 (Eleven adjustment)
CON 15
INT 9
WIS 16 (WE adjustment)
CHA 8

Proficiencies: Athletics, Survival, Perception, Medicine, Nature
cantrips: Poison Spray, Produce Flame
spell prepped: Cure Wounds, Entangle, Thunderwave
Basic Gear as provided by Class & background

Background Stuff: Outlander
Origin: Tribal Nomad
Personality Trait: No stock in wealth or manners
Ideal: The Natural World, etc. "Nature must be preserved."
Bond: An injury to the unspoiled... "I must protect the Wild".
Flaw: Racist, slow to trust The Other.

Mugged on his very first day in Jappur, Fandruhl has had little success in bartering for proper elven gear and would consider just about any menial job or task if it would lead to a replacement for his stolen longbow, his uncle's longsowrd and bearskin armor. He's currently wearing and utilizing a bit of dubious kit that he found on a day-old corpse on the outskirts of the town while foraging for food. The poor soul had taken an arrow in the back while running away it would appear, eventually succumbing to the wound. It is ill-fitting and a bit bloodied, but still serviceable and otherwise unremarkable. Perhaps someone is in need of a hunting guide, healer or the like...

Does that work? Any particular character sheet we should use?

Bad news, turns out, Mere had the calendar wrong. We're leaving on Friday so, if we're to play this week, it would need to be Thursday night. Sorry dudes.

Tue May 16, 2017 11:47 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
I could do Wednesday or Thursday.

That background sounds good. In fact you were jumped by a local group called the Red Hand and you know this because after they rolled you one of them got really close and with hot breath smelling of alcohol said "let that be a lesson to all pointy eared freaks that the Red Hand doesnt tolerate your kind around here. Go skulk back to your tree or else next time we might take something more valuable." He then spits on you and leaves.

This really hits you hard because you are the one who is usually less tolerant of non-elves but it does give you something to think about. As you stagger through the city looking more like a beggar than anything else you smell roasted meats and vegetables being cooked from a local tavern called The Dead Prince Tavern. As you stagger inside you see a massive fire-pit in the center of the tavern with a haunch of venison roasting over the fire, the juices dripping off it and making the fire sizzle with each drop. You get some stares but you notice a gnome dressed in fine leathers nailing a parchment to a message board. As you approach you see it is a recruitment poster and it says "Enlist today, we cant do it alone! Seeking qualified persons of upright standing to join the Japuur militia. We provide a monthly pay of 10 gold plus training, room, and board. All we ask is for your service is 1 week a month. Duties may include but are not limited to patrols, crowd control, and town defense. Applications are being accepted by Lazarum Mogorum at the Emberstone Consortium. Sign on bonuses provided to specialized individuals."

Here is a link an old school 1st ED character sheet for 5e.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-DGZEhoXwDtZC0wQjF6bXE4OU0
Tue May 16, 2017 12:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Wednesday I'm already committed to the online game. Let's see if the others can do Thursday night. Alan, Dan, Jim?

Tue May 16, 2017 1:50 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Alan

Post Reply with quote
I think thursday would work..... 830?
Tue May 16, 2017 2:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
8:30 or 8:00, wtvr works for Jeff's gym schedule tbh. Dan's lost his phone (he sent me a text detailing such) so unless he checks in here, I doubt he'll be here. I'll send Jim and text a bit later.

Tue May 16, 2017 4:15 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: