Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs View previous topic
View next topic
Jeff's Summer 5E Run
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
Overdog wrote:
Bass BB wrote:
I should be good for next Sat. Do you all need a brawler for the party? I'd like to pound some face since I'm playing a witch in the other AP.

Sure...any fighter type would be good or even a war cleric.

Yeah, we could use a bit more healing and muscle since Tony M. is playing a druid and we don't really have a fighter at the moment. So far it's Alan playing a thief/rogue, I'm playing a Wizard, can't remember what Imholte's playing, and Tony's playing an Elven Druid. Idea

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
Hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land,
To fight the horde, sing and cry: Valhalla, I am coming!

Last edited by Iguana on Tue May 23, 2017 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tue May 23, 2017 7:37 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
Rhollo wrote:
Overdog wrote:
Rhollo wrote:
Will not be able to make it tonight. Have an early morning meeting at the beach on Friday and need my beauty sleep.

Sorry to hear that Jim. Did you have any thoughts on what you might want to play?

Was thinking I would like to play a reformed street urchin of some type (rouge, brawler, confidence man, etc.), wanting to get out of a gang. Or maybe, putting on the appearance of the above to run a con of some sort.

Alan's playing a straight up rogue so some kind of fighter/thief or something would be cool (maybe even a dwarven fighter/thief trap finder) - you guys would work well together (or an Elven ranger or an elven fighter/thief or something - those are fun)... Cool Idea

Tue May 23, 2017 7:38 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I imagine that the Druid can do quite a bit of healing tbh.

Also, regarding our relative lack of RP in Pathfinder (and admittedly in most of my fantasy RPG), that primarily stems from running a lot of larger groups tbh and trying to keep it action-packed.

Tue May 23, 2017 8:43 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
I imagine that the Druid can do quite a bit of healing tbh.

Also, regarding our relative lack of RP in Pathfinder (and admittedly in most of my fantasy RPG), that primarily stems from running a lot of larger groups tbh and trying to keep it action-packed.

You know I'm just ribbing you right? Your games have been awesome since day one many moons ago as have Jeffs here more recently... Smile If we don't need another cleric fighter then we just need another fighter or another brawler or two - depends on what these guys want to play but I'm totally cool with a super stealthy seal team six type of group or whatever everyone wants... Twisted Evil

Tue May 23, 2017 10:12 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Bass BB

Post Reply with quote
OK looking into the 5E Clerics, I'm thinking a Mountain Dwarf (+2 Str / +2 Con) Tempest Cleric melee build. A tank that shocks.

Wed May 24, 2017 6:12 am View user's profile Send private message
XCoconutmonkey06X

Post Reply with quote
The LOTR campaign was so much fun. So fun to explore that world and the classes really fit well.

My Monk is pretty bad ass, Dan, lol. I get like 2 attacks a round (albeit 1 of those attacks is a hand/foot strike) and now I have access to Ki points for more tricks. I just need to make sure to keep beefing my Dex/Wis up to keep my AC up.

TM, the one thing I have gotten from 5th ed is that it feels a tad bit deadlier since healing isn't as prevalent. THat is what keeps you from rinse and repeating. Too many times, have I rolled like crap on my Hit Die healing. I also kind of like how magic items are few and far between so when you get one, it feels amazing!

Wed May 24, 2017 6:49 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
XCoconutmonkey06X wrote:
TM, the one thing I have gotten from 5th ed is that it feels a tad bit deadlier since healing isn't as prevalent. THat is what keeps you from rinse and repeating. Too many times, have I rolled like crap on my Hit Die healing. I also kind of like how magic items are few and far between so when you get one, it feels amazing!

Keep in mind Tony I. you have played in LotRs and Dragonlance and both of them have limited healing. In fact I think core 5e has the most healing and/or chances to heal. That doesnt make it any less deadly and in fact the Undead in 5e are crazy nasty and they can drop players faster than just about any other monster in the game.
Wed May 24, 2017 7:46 am View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
Brief Session summary:

In the southern extends of the League of Ordwyn in the frontier town of Jappur 4 adventurous folk find themselves enlisted in the local militia.

A Wood Elven Druid named Fandruhl on a journey of self discovery finds out quickly that life in a city is harsh and unforgiving as he is jumped and robbed by 3 ruffians and is left for dead. He lucks upon a posting in a local inn looking for volunteers in the Jappurian militia. Pay, room and board and the chance to experience his new environment with allies at his side entices him to join.

A reluctant Rogue named Rodrick the Mouse turns on his Thieve's Guild when asked to murder an innocent traveler and for his mercy is setup and turned over to the city watch and imprisoned. A Gnomish benefactor that seems to have the run of the place offers Roderick a way to pay off his prison time and make some money and seek adventure in the meantime in the militia. Roderick eagerly agrees.

Kisada, another Wood Elf from the House of Stone an Elven sanctuary north of the city, is cast out of his house to learn the harsh lessons of life that he has been shielded from in the confines of the sanctuary. His life of constant carousing is over as he is "enlisted" in the militia by order of Elmardrin Highstone his liege.

Bathazar, a bookish soldier trained wizard from the far off land of Karnish across the sea is sent by his friend and former commander, Xeerlinn, to investigate trouble in Jappur. Xeerlinn suspects the Iron League has its hands in some local trouble down there and wants Balthazar to act as an agent in his name to uncover any foul doings. He enlists in the militia to further his investigation.

After several months of training the team is alerted to some trouble near the vast swamp to the SW of Jappur. It is known to be home to lizardfolk and dinosaurs of all kinds and is avoided by all. Baron Darian Cromm's hunting lodge was attacked near the swamp and the militia is sent to investigate. When they arrive they find the lodge ablaze and find a few survivors including the Baron's wife Piann. She tells them that the Baron and 5 of his men chased marauding Blue feather tribe lizardfolk into the swamp. The militia tracks them and is attacked by a wounded Allosaurus who had apparently fought the Baron and his men and had eaten a few of them but the Baron was not among them. After defeating the beast they continued tracking the Baron and they were surrounded by a dozen of the Red Eye lizardfolk tribe who did not attack but Roderick the mouse sensed a trap and attacked the shaman who blasted some of the party with a wave of thunder. Kisada managed to calm the situation down and the Shaman used comprehend languages to speak with the party and told them he meant them no harm and that one of his hunters would lead them to the Blue Feather camp in exchange he asked them to talk to leaders of Jappur to discuss trade with them. All agreed and the group set off.

TBC...this week.
Wed May 24, 2017 1:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
Bass BB

Post Reply with quote
What time Sat night?

Thu May 25, 2017 6:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
Bass BB wrote:
What time Sat night?

Here is the sign up post. Its at 8:00

http://www.battlebuddy.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6654
Thu May 25, 2017 6:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
Good game Saturday night. A bit of drama among the players that I suspect will get sorted out. Looking forward to next week.
Mon May 29, 2017 11:33 am View user's profile Send private message
Rhollo

Post Reply with quote
I had a great time. Thanks for running this campaign. Very Happy

“if you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm…”
Mon May 29, 2017 2:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
Brief Summary of last weeks game.

Having been given a dire warning of an upcoming tragedy by the Red Hand Thieves guild, the former guild members Rodrick and Bosco, confide in their fellow militia members about this warning in hopes of preventing it somehow but since they are all on duty their efforts are limited. The Red Hand told them that when they are sent to search for those responsible for this crime outside the city (and they would be sent) they are to make sure they look the other way when they see their quarry.

Much discussion is had about how to handle this and if they should tell their superiors but they decide against that and wait and see.

The next day the whole militia is alerted and their squad is send to Rathus Ellon's estate to investigate a murder most foul there. Apparently Lord Rathus (the puppet leader and founder of the city) and his family and staff were murdered last night. As the group arrives they find clues that whomever did this were expertly trained combatants and most likely had at least one wizard with them. Their only clue is that Rathus's daughter, Estelle, was not among the dead. Soon Sallos Zha Zhoalla, their commander, arrives and gets their report (the party ever suspicious of the former pirate captain) and tells them that a dozen or more of well armed riders were seen spiriting Estelle out of the city. Sallos suspects they headed north to Broken Bridge, an abandoned town but still possessing a functional dock that a ship could access from The Reach. He oddly orders the group to head East just in case its a ruse. This must be what the Red Hand thieves, Sheneires and Yeneires, had instructed Rodrick and Bosco to look out for. In fact as they are riding out of the city Rodrick sees the two thieves who give him a knowing nod.

As they exit the city at night Fandrul in cat form and in druid form picks up on a trail and the party follows. Several days in they turn east into the low mountains that contain the Black Mines of Emere. Soon they are beset upon by Red Hand Thugs and they easily dispatch them. They track them to their campsite and Estelle is no where to be seen but they do find her tracks and a dozen or so of smaller tracks leading her deeper into the mountains. Not long after they are confronted by two high elves (Filvendor and Shalendra) of the House of Stone, the siblings of Lord Elmardrin, Kisada the Monk's benefactor. They tell them found the girl in their patrols of the area and they are to go back to Jappur and she will be returned safely. The party tells them to step aside so they can see for themselves and the elves tell them that some of their kin are already leading her home and she is much safer in their hands than a group of green militia. The exchange gets heated and Kisada is constantly berated by the pair and the party believes that this is the moment that the Red Hand were referring to and Kisada attacks. They soon realize that these two were the assassins and an epic battle ensues. The Elves are amazing combatants and wizards and the party is pressed to their limits. Half of the party falls to their blades and spells and the rest are on deaths door when they finally best the Elves. Balthazar alerts the party that these are not High Elves but Eladrin distant magical cousins of high elves. They recover the matching Rapier and Shortsword of the siblings, called The Blades of Nemezark. Apparently magical weapons that make those who attune themselves to them mentally bonded.

The party continues tracking Estelle and as they clear some trees they see a band of Goblins leading Estelle into a secret door into what they can only assume are the Black Mines of Emere.

Why would these "elves" be working with the Red Hand and why would they give the girl over to Goblins.

TBC...

The Blades of Nemezark

+1 Matching Rapier and Shortsword.

While attuned bearers can communicate telepathically up to 100 feet.

1/long rest they can synchronize their attacks and both wielders have advantage on all attacks with the blades if they are flanking an opponent.
Both bearers can use Detect Thoughts on each other at will. This can be resisted with a DC 12 Charisma check.

The attunement takes a different amount of time depending on the wielders, it’s exact duration is unclear.

If either wielder is knocked unconscious or killed the other is at disadvantage on all ability checks, saves, and attacks. This effect goes away after a long rest.

Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:47 pm View user's profile Send private message
XCoconutmonkey06X

Post Reply with quote
Jim, if you are interested, we are saving the magic rapier for your character. Figured having both rogues mentally linked and with sweet dex based weapons would do nothing but benefit us.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:00 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
XCoconutmonkey06X

Post Reply with quote
Awesome write up too, Jeff. Thank you for leaving out how badly I got my ass handed to me, lol. Kisada is now extremely skeptical of his house if this is the sort of progeny they push out. He wonders how deep the taint goes in the house now.

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:01 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: