RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
5E Saturday at 8:00PM 5/27/17
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs View previous topic
View next topic
5E Saturday at 8:00PM 5/27/17
Overdog

Post 5E Saturday at 8:00PM 5/27/17 Reply with quote
Assuming Tony M. is good for hosting Saturday night at 8:00 PM please reply if you are good to go.

We will continue the foray into the Lizardman swamp (with new recruit reinforcements) and hopefully rescue the Baron and complete your first mission as Jappurian Militiamen. Those who survive will have some well deserved downtime (3 weeks) where you can decide from the following downtime activities to explore in the game until you are back on duty:

1. Carousing
2. Crafting
3. Crime
4. Gambling
5. Pit Fighting
6. Relaxation
7. Religious Service
8. Research
9. Scribing Scrolls
10. Training

The downtime will not include any side quests unless the whole group decides to do it.
Wed May 24, 2017 1:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
X

Good to go. Looking forward to it man.

Wed May 24, 2017 1:30 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rhollo

Post Reply with quote
Awesome, will be there. Very Happy

“if you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm…”
Wed May 24, 2017 5:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
I'll be there...

X Cool

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
Hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land,
To fight the horde, sing and cry: Valhalla, I am coming!

Last edited by Iguana on Wed May 24, 2017 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wed May 24, 2017 6:10 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Is it the case where you do the same DT activity for the entire 3 weeks, or can you break it up into separate week-long instances?

Wed May 24, 2017 6:22 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
Is it the case where you do the same DT activity for the entire 3 weeks, or can you break it up into separate week-long instances?

It varies but most activities take at least a week but some take longer but you can break them up.
Wed May 24, 2017 6:33 pm View user's profile Send private message
XCoconutmonkey06X

Post Reply with quote
I am in!

Fri May 26, 2017 6:41 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
Anyone who is showing up Saturday and hasnt created a character please know your Race/Class/Stats and Background ahead of time. Thanks. If you have any questions let me know.
Fri May 26, 2017 4:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
By the way, I did grab the data pkg for 5E on Hero Lab. It seems about 100x faster and renders a pretty spiffy character sheet with a portrait of your choice. You do have install a community plug in since the idiots at Lone Wolf botched the Backgrounds and only "Acolyte" shows even on the full data package. If you already own Hero Lab, it's probably worth a look see if you don't mind giving the money-grubbing Aussie Bastards a bit more coin. Character gen took several hours with my kids last night and that gave me the idea that it's worth a try. I still feel like WotC should have farmed this over to the Paizo production staff. They would have produced a far more user-friendly PHB. The LotR book is quite a bit better imo.

Fri May 26, 2017 5:23 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
By the way, I did grab the data pkg for 5E on Hero Lab. It seems about 100x faster and renders a pretty spiffy character sheet with a portrait of your choice. You do have install a community plug in since the idiots at Lone Wolf botched the Backgrounds and only "Acolyte" shows even on the full data package. If you already own Hero Lab, it's probably worth a look see if you don't mind giving the money-grubbing Aussie Bastards a bit more coin. Character gen took several hours with my kids last night and that gave me the idea that it's worth a try. I still feel like WotC should have farmed this over to the Paizo production staff. They would have produced a far more user-friendly PHB. The LotR book is quite a bit better imo.

They did not botch anything they cannot distribute the full data package, they are only licensed for the SRD which does not include everything. The only background the SRD includes is the Acolyte. I really dont find the need for it, 5e is not a complex system and leveling is very easy. I like the fact that I dont need to use my PC to play, in fact I go out of my way not to use it unless I need it for a PDF resource that I dont have a hard copy of. The only thing that the HLs version is good for is building 1st level characters without backgrounds because it only offers 1 archetype for each class.

I love the fact that I can run an entire adventure with just 3 books sitting in front of me instead of the absolute requirement of a PC (IMHO) and $300+ worth of software for Pathfinder. Hence why I refuse to run PF anymore.
Fri May 26, 2017 5:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Ah, I didn't understand the full data package license issue. Anyway, ymmv, but I find char gen pretty slow compared to something like 0E, B/X or 1E (at least, 1E the way everyone played it). It took me over 2 hours to make 3 characters with my kids (not lying or exaggerating here). Much of that is due to the way certain key parts of char gen are scattered throughout the PHB and NOT really the system. I think I'd have to show you what I mean by that (and BTW, I'm tabbing the Hell out of my 2 copies of the PHB) as it's not exactly something I can show you in a quick post.

I totally get your disgust for the big bucks we've both sent Lone Wolf's way and how it seems completely necessary to properly run PF. I still like the system (PF, not Hero Lab) though since I really liked much of 3.5 and consider PF a "fixed version" of it. You could simply run the game as core and it would probably be a better game tbh. We should probably try that sometime with one of our PF APs.

Quote:
I love the fact that I can run an entire adventure with just 3 books sitting in front of me instead of the absolute requirement of a PC (IMHO) and $300+ worth of software for Pathfinder.

Great point and hope you (and the others in our groups) can resist the siren's call of supplements/bloat that will inevitably follow (it always has). Actually, I think you only need 2 books as the DMG seems an utter pile since the vast majority of it is "you could do this, or maybe that, just whatever you decide really" sort of pablum. The magic items and other needed bits can probably be lifted off the SRD site (not sure really). Shame really 'cause the meat and potatoes of the other 2 books is solid. OTOH, most DMGs come up really short since the author's aren't really sure what they're supposed to be providing or who their reader is. Anyway, yeah, your statement sums up perfectly why I think B/X is simply the best version of D&D ever produced. Everything you need for years upon years of gaming in 120-ish pages.

Fri May 26, 2017 7:06 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
Good points...looking forward to tomorrow night.
Fri May 26, 2017 8:54 pm View user's profile Send private message
Iguana

Post Reply with quote
scadgrad wrote:
Ah, I didn't understand the full data package license issue. Anyway, ymmv, but I find char gen pretty slow compared to something like 0E, B/X or 1E (at least, 1E the way everyone played it). It took me over 2 hours to make 3 characters with my kids (not lying or exaggerating here). Much of that is due to the way certain key parts of char gen are scattered throughout the PHB and NOT really the system. I think I'd have to show you what I mean by that (and BTW, I'm tabbing the Hell out of my 2 copies of the PHB) as it's not exactly something I can show you in a quick post.

I totally get your disgust for the big bucks we've both sent Lone Wolf's way and how it seems completely necessary to properly run PF. I still like the system (PF, not Hero Lab) though since I really liked much of 3.5 and consider PF a "fixed version" of it. You could simply run the game as core and it would probably be a better game tbh. We should probably try that sometime with one of our PF APs.

Quote:
I love the fact that I can run an entire adventure with just 3 books sitting in front of me instead of the absolute requirement of a PC (IMHO) and $300+ worth of software for Pathfinder.

Great point and hope you (and the others in our groups) can resist the siren's call of supplements/bloat that will inevitably follow (it always has). Actually, I think you only need 2 books as the DMG seems an utter pile since the vast majority of it is "you could do this, or maybe that, just whatever you decide really" sort of pablum. The magic items and other needed bits can probably be lifted off the SRD site (not sure really). Shame really 'cause the meat and potatoes of the other 2 books is solid. OTOH, most DMGs come up really short since the author's aren't really sure what they're supposed to be providing or who their reader is. Anyway, yeah, your statement sums up perfectly why I think B/X is simply the best version of D&D ever produced. Everything you need for years upon years of gaming in 120-ish pages.

I've always been partial to the J. Eric Holmes blue Box set version of D&D which was the first version I ever played during middle school - it really captured my imagination with it's gonzo style and I was totally hooked after plaing that introductory module. One of these days I'll run you guys though the Tower of Zenopus introductory dungeon for the Blue book and the 2nd or 3rd level of the Tower of Zenopus which I or others have since concocted. The first time I ever played blue box (basically past 0 Ed but pre 1st Ed) was in seventh grade during study hall with my brother's friends. After that I was hooked! I've even redrawn the maps for the Tower of Zenopus in CAD just for kicks. The DEX and maybe the intiative I think are a bit different but aside from that it''s pretty much the same game.

What's cool is that he loved to run gonzo games with PCs running monster characters like Centaurs and stuff and then you would have these crazy gonzo monsters show up and stuff (like ware land sharks and stuff) - he was pretty open minded about monsters as PCs but he was playing with his kids after all so its not too suprising. Most of all I loved his story telling abilities - the background stories he wrote for the Tower of Zenopus and for the other book he published were fabulous - he practiically invented the whole moviation for the underdark when the underkark wasn't even on the radar yet... lol Smile Twisted Evil

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
Hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new land,
To fight the horde, sing and cry: Valhalla, I am coming!
Sat May 27, 2017 12:59 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
scadgrad
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
IIRC, initiative in Holmes is simply by order of DEX. So the DM would have to randomly generate DEX scores for the bad guys.

The game last night was fun. Kids think they're basically playing a "different version of Whitebox" which is cool. Again though, char gen took about an hour + to make two new characters, but , that was for 2 people who are completely new to the game. I know this makes no sense to y'all since you already have a high degree of rules mastery, but this has been our experience so far. I think it would probably be better to simply let them have the Basic Array, pick background and randomly determine the other RP bits (changing them later after they've had some time to read those bits). Doing that, I feel I can use Hero Lab to knock out 1st level dudes really quickly now. Another benefit that I've found is that leveling up really is simple, like dead simple 0E style. That is a huge plus imo though a bit more granularity of skills & abilities as you level would make more sense to me.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way. I'm overly critical when I don't like things and think they stem from "change for change's sakes", but I also change my mind when presented with evidence that refutes my earlier assumptions. So far, a week or two in, I really dislike the poor organization and layout of the books, but the system is solid, excellent even. I would have preferred a one book approach a la PF since I think the DMG is mostly a pile. They have an opportunity to make a Basic Red Box version that could be awesome (say 2 books of about 60-ish pages each).

Anyway, yes, looking forward to playing Jeff Quest tonight. See y'all tonight at 8:00.

Sat May 27, 2017 10:45 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Overdog

Post Reply with quote
No offense Tony, I dont take it personally. I am just glad you are giving it a shot.
Sat May 27, 2017 4:14 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    battlebuddy.org Forum Index » RPGs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: